air leak on td?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shezads

air leak on td?

Post by shezads »

Hi,
I don't know if I'am being paranoid, but it feels that my zx td is not as quick at accelerating as it used to be. The turbo kick-in can be felt at about 2300 - 2500 rpm, whereas before I could start to feel it at about 1700 rpm,definatly by 2200 and by 2500 it was on full song.[:(!]
Also, it cranks more before starting - about 5 seconds, and idles rougly for first 10-15 seconds on cold mornings Even when engine is warm and only been turned off for a couple of hours - it does the same. If I preheat glow plugs more then once - makes litle difference, so I don't think it is the glowplugs. -I have even tried four preheats - and makes no difference.
Fuel filter has been changed about 5000 miles ago. It does need a an oil/filter change and I'll be doing this as soon as the shops open again. A look in Haynes manual suggests either fuel filter needs replacing - or air leak in fuel line.
How do I start to check the fuel pipes of an air leak?
Where do I start?
Is there any one particular fuel pipe that is more likely to fail? What would be the best way to trace this fault?
Best place to buy Millers xfe semi synthetic 10-40, and diesel power plus oil in Nottingham?
Appreciate any help.
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

Sorry if I'm teaching you to "suck eggs" but do you give the car a hard blast every now and again? Soot collects and dulls the performance after a while.
Also, when did you last change the air filter? Could the trunking be restricted or even leaking compressed air?
Has the performance drop coincided with a timing belt change? (i.e. the injection timing could be very slightly different now).
What type of fuel do you use and have you changed?
Is there a sack of spuds in the boot?
Are your tyres inflated properly?
Simon
shezads

Post by shezads »

No problem - any help appreciated!!
Car driven mainly around town, but once a week gets a round trip of 60 miles on fast A roads.
Usually fill up at shell, so think fuel should be ok.
Air filter was changed about 12000 miles ago - have not really checked to see if it is clogged - but when I service it later this week, will have a good look around. Manual says that air filter good for 18000 miles.
Tyres ok, timing belt is due for a change, will be looking at getting that done in near future.
Thing is it has happened for about six months now. Thought I had got used to the power of the car - and that it was my imagination - but having looked at other threads, made me wonder if the slight hesitancy in starting and initial spluttering, was an air leek, hence my questions about how and where to start looking first.
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

Air leaks into fuel: check those pipes that move first, including the priming bulb. A smear of grease can be enough to seal the leak. Recent threads have mentioned pipes on the back of the engine: nightmare!
By "blast" I mean foot-flat acceleration in 2nd and 3rd to 4000rpm or so; many people I've spoken to about this are light-footed diesel drivers and are /very/ surprised at the smoke screen they leave the first time they attempt this! As you might have found it's often essential practice for an MOT smoke test pass...
How are your brake calipers? Early ZXs have a design that loves to sieze. If it's really bad you can feel the heat on the front wheels after a (leisurely) drive!
Simon
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I suggest you have a look at some of the previous posts on this website.
Such as :- http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=4917
From the problem you describe it sounds very much that you have one or more duff glow plugs.
There many other links to others if you search for them.
Sooty
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

I also had the same problem where i thought it was slow, but a good thashing does it good ( it worked for me), just hold it off the govner for a while.