Estate drivers door hinge

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Robin
My Cars:

Estate drivers door hinge

Post by Robin »

Has anyone had this fault and repaired it themselves?
The lower hinge breaks away from the door pillar which should be a fully welded structure. At the moment mine has only failed on the weld internally and no external damage has yet become visible. I wonder if it can be repaired with a form of bolted plate clamping the internal and external components. The thought of taking into a bodyshop and having it butchered[}:)][:o)] and welded fills me with horrors. Especially as there is no adjustment possible once the welding has been done!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Unfortunately this is a common problem on Estate models Robin [:(]
The problem is similar (but not exactly the same) as to the BX front door hinges on the A-pillar.
I suggest you make arrangements with a well-reputated bodyshop knowing about this Xantia problem.
I definately understand your fears of someone butchering your car - but there ARE in fact garages around doing a perfect job - at surprisingly low cost - as they simply have the know-how !
But shop around - and ask around before you decide !
farnellp
My Cars:

Post by farnellp »

I had this problem on my xantia est. about two years ago. A local body shop removed the door, drilled holes through the pillar, so they could "catch" the loose bit inside the pillar, then welded the loose bit to the edge of the holes. It's a bit difficult to describe without the bits in front of you to point at! What they didn't do is remove the dash, that is not necessary.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Robin,
As I own a Xantia Estate and having read your post, if there is no external indication that the lower hihge has broken internally how do you know?
I have read about this problem before where people have noticed that the front door has dropped and touches the front of the rear door but I think, touchwood (head), that my car does not suffer from it yet. I am very careful not to use the door to lift myself to get out of the car as i think that this could put extra stress on the hinges.
Richard
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Hi, the first indication is a dropped door but first make sure the hinge pins are in good oreder. They are softer than the hinge material itself so wear as the sacrificial bit. Quite easy to replace as a DIY job. They just screw out and lift clear with a bit of help to hold the door steady.
The lower hinge fault is then identified by the door not closing properly and perhaps even some road noise coming in through the bottom as the door does not quite shut cleanly at this point. If you suspect the problem, lifting the door by the lower edge quite firmly when open about 12 inches will show any flex in the lower hinge fixing.
I have yet to fix mine and will report on the results. I do not want to go straight for a welding job if the hinge is not totally broken away. Contentious issue this bit!!
trsaab

Post by trsaab »

This lower hinge broke on my 1997 Xantia and the local "approved" Citroen body shop said they all do it around 150,000 miles. Cost me £100 to have door removed and a new panel welded in. They did a good job, all painted and properly adjusted.
stewart_c
My Cars:

Post by stewart_c »

Hi,
Had this happen to my 96 estate at the start of last year,it cost me £100 to have it welded,the o/s front wing was removed to allow this to happen,& my neighbour had the same problem at the same time on his 98 est.only he had it welded initially at a non citroen familiar garage,thought he had got a bargain at £30 but after 3 weeks he went to where I had mine done cost £100. total cost £130 + 2days with no car
Moral of the story is some jobs are done cheap(?),then there are cheap jobs.[^]
gwoolie
My Cars:

Post by gwoolie »

Does any one know of some one in the south that is good at this repair?? My Local dealer wants to strip the interiour out to replace the inner post ect ect!! I even printed out some of the previous post, but they still dont really know what to do.
So if any of you have had the repair done properly and at a good rate, please recommend the welder.
Regards
Graham
sheldon6

Post by sheldon6 »

i have exactly the same problem with my 98 estate 127k on the clock i am a welder by trade. the problem as i see it is having something to weld to. On my car the hinge is still perfectly connected to the door post, however i would imagine that this is only an outer skin and that originally the weld was meant to penetrate the outer post and burn in to the inner, the only way i can see to effect a repair is to drill the hinge and to "puddle" weld the hole. My question is this, has anyone actually seen how this repair is carried out, i have not only searched this forum but the net also. it would cause me so much pain to have to pay someone to put right which is after all a cock up on citroens behalf. any advice gladlly appreciated.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

I am going to investigate my door piller next Monday all being well. My outerskin is still intact and the hinge is still firmly attached on the front edge to the reinforcing plate inside. I want to see just what is in there and then decide on the best course of action. I will let you all know the outcome and if I can take a pretty piccy or two I will.
I really object to the extortionate figures the local body shop mafia around here want to charge especially as I can weld and chop a body about as good as any butcher!!
My local Citroen dealer is talking many hundreds yet Stewart C is telling us of a chap who can do it for a couple of hundred.
Opportunity for a day trip perhaps? R
gwoolie
My Cars:

Post by gwoolie »

Thanks to the guys at GSF Poole,I have spoken to a bodyshop firm in Poole who seem to know what they are talking about !!
They have said they can do the repair for £60 - £100, but if the hinge on the door has suffered due to the strain an extra £50 to replace and paint the lot !!
When I spoke to them they new EXACTLY what I was talking about.
will let you know how it goes in the next few weeks to the quality of work and if it cures my floppy door!
gwoolie
My Cars:

Post by gwoolie »

The boys at Hamworthy Body works have done my door and it shuts a dream, no clunk no lifting, just closes smoothly.
There was a problem getting the bottom hinge pin out, but to save me money, i fiddled and got it loose.
The hinge has been welded, painted and adjusted for well under £100
and they new what to do, were very friendly and helpfull too !!
If you need a contact number PM me and I'll pass it on
Happy now [:D]
AndyP
My Cars:

Post by AndyP »

I new have this problem on the car I bought just recently :(
Any recomendations for a place to fix this in the Essex/Herts area ?
AndyP
My Cars:

Post by AndyP »

bttt
Yawler

Post by Yawler »

Having read all the above, I started to take the door off - but
the lower hinge pin sheared and I'm left with the lower half of it only, so now I can't get the door off.
So, Instead, I took off the door trim and drilled an 8mm hole right through the hinge & various layers of metal, right into the car, having first moved the carpet, sound proofing & wiring out of the way inside & put a pieve of wood there for safety's sake. Then I cut a piece of M8 studding and poked it in, put a nut on the outside of the hinge, a humungous washer on the inside, tightened it all up and BINGO - problem solved!
So don't even try top take off the door, just take off the outside trim & drill through the hole. Needs a long drill, though - I started with a 6mm drill (smaller drills weren't long enough for the pilot hole, enlarged the hole with an ordinary 8mm drill, but it wasn't long enough to go right through. I had a long 8mm masonry drill in the shed so used that (slowly, they don't like getting hot!) to go right thriugh two more layers of thin steel.
Apart from the abortive attrempt at removing the door, total job time was about an hour.
Only thing is, I've now only got half a hinge pin in my lower hinge........ Will be fun if that breaks too - better keep it well oiled!
Thanks a lot for your information in Andyspares - a really useful forum!