how can I test front strut

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

monsak
My Cars:

how can I test front strut

Post by monsak »

My car is Xantia 96 , I would like to ask that how can I test my front strut. Is it in good condition or I should replace it. And how can it lubricat it.
Thnak you
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Why do you want test it ?
What seems to be the problem ?
You can test for internal leakage by unplugging the return hoses from the strut itself - there should not be any flow with car in any height setting.
You may set the car to highest height then unplug the gaiter and lube the shiny piston rod with standard bearing grease.
Unlike the BX front struts - the XM & Xantia front struts are of a much better lasting construction and are sealed with no possibilities for repair/overhaul.
monsak
My Cars:

Post by monsak »

Hi AndersDK
Thanks for your reply, I post my question about fixed front height after long parking that occur after my garage repaired front corrector. Do you remember that post?. I am also thanks you for your reply in that post. I went to the old garage for 2 times.The garage said that it caused by inproper operating rod control HC setting and fixed it. But it help nothing. So I move my car to another garage. The new garage said that it should be front HC problem and advice to replace a new one. He also set ride height to the correct setting. After that (I did not replace new HC) front height instade of going to maximum height ,it don't move up , it still same level as before it start (about 2 cm below normal ride height) and came to normal hegiht within 10-15 min after that. And I notice that ,at this level I can't push both front down. It is very hard.So I thick that front strut may be something wrong. Because if HC is not function , I shoud be able to push down both front corner. So I ask the question that how can I test front strut. I am new for citroen and all is my guess. Thank you for your advice again
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes - now I remember your first post [:)]
I'm puzzled that the garage has not been able to solve the problem yet. For a garage it should be a rather simple problem.
If you're ready to do some work yourself - then try the following :
Drive the car over an inspection pit - or lift the front wheels on to solid wooden blocks (or hobby service ramps).
The idea is that you get the front wheels raised at least 10" (0.25m) to have safe work space under car.
BE ABSOLUTELY sure you are safe under the car - even if the car suspension sinks totally low - this is VERY important !
Then try move the HC operating rod/linkage - at the HC itself. It should be possible to make the front suspension go up & down. If the linkage is not possible to move - you have a problem with the HC.
I don't believe you have problems with the front struts - but instead the garages can not do their job [:0]
The HC can be removed, disassembled to bits & cleaned in petrol.
There are no spare parts - the function of the HC relies on microfine tolerances - which means no O-rings etc.
The work is similar to clean a small moped carburettor - with some delicate bits to take care of.
On re-assembly lube all bits with LHM.