Christmas clutch!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dave -
Not really a help here - but a confident pat on your shoulder that you can do it [;)]
Remember the best tool to start off any DIY job is the WILL to do it - and any obstacles are only seen if you move your eyes from the goal [8D]
Happy NewYear [^]
Le-Mans
My Cars:

Post by Le-Mans »

Taipan - My clip broke on the 23rd of December. I read up on this thread:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=4735
See also my thread for some additional tips:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=5068
And if you can hang on for a few days I will be starting another thread where I will write a full run-through of the clutch clip job WITH photos. You see, I'm waiting for the local parts shop to open so I can get a new clip. You will see from my thread that I had to come up with a temporary solution.
If it makes you feel any better, I was crapping myself before and whilst doing this job too. I thought I'd end up breaking the brake pedal or something, or worse, hurting my little handies. :) At one point I almost gave up trying to get the dratted bolt out in one piece, and was considering the hacksaw approach. But I could see myself being there for at least another 2 hours trying to saw the head off that thing, being in such a confined space etc. So I suddenly found resolve and said the F word several times, then went at the clutch pedal bracket with a large ring-spanner, bending the bracket aside and at an angle sufficient to allow the bolt to be removed in one piece. I suggest you try this. It's the only really nasty part of the job. The rest is just a bit awkward and uncomfortable.
Le-Mans
My Cars:

Post by Le-Mans »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by taipan</i>

Hi Anders
Thanks for the confidence boost. I have a question though, if the clip iteslf isnt broken, is the job and easier, or do you still have to remove it all anyway? I assume you do as teh nipple from teh old cable must still be inside it right? The clip and cable both look new. I dont think it was installed properly as it always clicked. The clip is a beige colour and not the older black colour?
I just had a look at the pedal. I also just read Baldricks post at the bottom of the page. At the risk of sounding stupid, what is it I'm removing here, the clutch or the brake pedal? I'm not sure if I'm dropping the brake pedal out of the way to get access to the clutch pedal, or just dropping the clucth pedal to get access to the clip?
From what I can see as you look up at the clucth pedal, the bolt head is on the left. Is this the awkward way or the good way to have it?
Is the clip itself 2 halves held together by the metal clip. I cant see how the cable goes into the clip itself? Is there a clear picture of one of these clips anywhere?
Happy new year!
Dave
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Chances are, some part of the clip assembly *is* broken. Otherwise the cable would not have parted with it.
It's the clutch pedal you have to remove. You have to get the brake pedal out of the way so you can get that damned bolt out.
You say the head of the bolt is on the left, but you don't say if you are right-way-up or upside-down while you're looking at it. [:)] So if the head of the bolt is on the same side as the brake pedal, that is the awkward side. Otherwise, you're in luck.
The assembly in question is made of 3 parts. 2 plastic and 1 metal. That is, (1) the main plastic cable bullet receptical, and (2) the plastic pivot pin that holds it all on the end of the clutch pedal, and (3) the metal clip that holds the cable bullet in place once inserted into part (1).
Hold on. I have the old parts here somewhere. I'll take a photo...
Le-Mans
My Cars:

Post by Le-Mans »

Ok here's the whole thing:
Note the extreme damage at the bottom of the plastic cable holder (which is where the cabel bullet is inserted)and the broken leg of the metal clip. Any such damage renders the parts unsafe and useless. So you MUST take your clutch pedal out and inspect all parts carefully.
Here's a shot of the metal clip on its own:
You getting the picture? [:p]
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

In the top photo on Le-Mans post the plastic part of the clip is incomplete. The damage at the bottom is caused by part of the clip having sheared away. It is this part that forms the slot for the metal part to locate in and which takes all the stress. It is a cylindrical part with an internal taper.
If you want to just change the cable you can hook the metal clip out of the plastic holder which will release the cable.
Re-fitting is the reverse (now where have I heard that Before!). I use a three-jaw-grabber to locate the metal clip and a long flat bladed screwdriver to push it back into position. It is easier if the cable is disconnected from the clutch arm and the inner pushed back as far as possible into the plastic part of the clip.
Richard