coolant corrosion

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ralph
My Cars:

coolant corrosion

Post by ralph »

Just read Alan's Coolant Corrosion thread in the fixes section.
I've just replaced the coolant in my Xsara TD with 50 per cent glycol, 50 per cent tap water.
The tap water in Bradford is soft, and I left it standing overnight (no scientific reason, just that that was what I did as a kid with the goldfishes' water to make it safe for them).
Given the risk of acid content in the tap water have I wasted my time?
If I do need to replace the coolant again, has anyone got any tips for a header tank? I just about managed with an old coolant bottle – but I used loads of PFTE tape trying to make a seal, and still loads leaked out.
And one of my own tips - don't do this job on a freezing day - as it takes about 20 minutes for the fans to cut in when bleeding, which upsets the neighbours.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The antifreeze should be buffered and so maintain neutrality for some time. problems occur when the buffering chemicals have been used up. Someone had a very interesting article on this subject a little while ago. I think the link was from this board and search may lead to it.
My ZX 1.9 D has the filler on the off- side of the radiator and when I bled it I started by inverting a 5 litre plastic anti freeze container in the filler to get some idea of the necessary padding to get a seal. Imagine my surprise to find I could bleed it by simply squeezing the container without any tape, O rings etc. I just wish everything else was that simple!.
jeremy
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Ralph,
Where a lot of problems start with tap water is all the "things" they have in them.
Copper, aluminium, fluoride, chlorine & heaps of other things.
Out where I am, tap water has an acidic ph but is usually low in copper & high in aluminium whereas I am led to believe from animal breeders, that both your soil & your water is higher in copper than ours here.
I have access to water collected from a rainwater tank that I have been warned at times, due to my proximity to the Ocean can be salty which is why I only use it after a heavy doownfall that gives it time for the tanks to overflow & hence flush the salt that would be there from small showers.
To play it safe, I opt for demineralised water as much as possible.
Alan S
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

Ralph,
I have access to water collected from a rainwater tank that I have been warned at times, due to my proximity to the Ocean can be salty which is why I only use it after a heavy doownfall that gives it time for the tanks to overflow & hence flush the salt that would be there from small showers.
To play it safe, I opt for demineralised water as much as possible.
Alan S
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Alan,
There's a well established relationship between salinity of rainwater and distance from the coast in south eastern Australia - it decreases dramatically, and the first few kilometres are the worst. This would apply roughly to you. How far are you inland?
Personally, I'd stick with the demineralised water - used it for years with Castrol concentrated inhibitor with good results. Currently, no problems with BP coolant neat (best way for all spirits!) either. Just spent my Xmas break changing coolants, oils and filters so am fired up on the subject again!
Best wishes to all for 2004.
JohnW
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Read the piece at http://www.babcox.com/editorial/tr/tr110046.htm, which says on no account use softened water!
Confusing stuff. My Xsara will be due a cambelt change in a few months time, so no doubt the coolant will be dropped out when the water pump is found to be on its way out.
If not, I'll probably do it then anyway. Thanks
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Naturally soft water (like I have here in Devon) is fine. Chemically softened water isn't good as it contains salt.
Don't worry about it Ralph. I've never had coolant corrosion problems with the same water as you. It's the corrosion inhibitors in the new antifreeze that are your friend. The old stuff you've just changed will have been at the end of its life, the inhibitors become exhausted over a period of time - just like chewing gum losing its flavour.
It's more important that you change it soft water not excepted, than not change it and suffer a leaking heater matrix and blocked radiator.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

John,
I'm 200 metres from the Coral Sea but I am in the shadow of Fraser Island hence I don't have a surf environment which tends to blow a salt haze over any area.
As I say, I use it only after we've had rain (which isn't all that often these days) but when it rains remember we're in the tropics so we get things like 27 inches in a week & stuff like that and due to the 'bird ****' factor we have to use filters as well.
I pulled a CX motor down a couple of years ago & this motor, like another we'd done previously was as new internally so I have doubts that it is being affected by any pollutants.
In dry periods, I can access water that's been through a reverse osmosis system for $1 a litre so I don't have to take risks.
Alan S
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

John,
I'm 200 metres from the Coral Sea but I am in the shadow of Fraser Island hence I don't have a surf environment which tends to blow a salt haze over any area.
As I say, I use it only after we've had rain (which isn't all that often these days) but when it rains remember we're in the tropics so we get things like 27 inches in a week & stuff like that and due to the 'bird ****' factor we have to use filters as well.
I pulled a CX motor down a couple of years ago & this motor, like another we'd done previously was as new internally so I have doubts that it is being affected by any pollutants.
In dry periods, I can access water that's been through a reverse osmosis system for $1 a litre so I don't have to take risks.
Alan S
Now 200 metres is close!!! I'd stick to the RO supply or the big storm, exactly as you do. It's just like the "oil is cheaper than metal" logic, isn't it?
We're 2000 metres from the Indian Ocean, on a hilltop, and if I leave a car under the exposed part of the house on a windy winter's day I can wipe my finger over the paint and taste the salt.
All the best for 2004.
JohnW
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

John,
The biggest difference between me & most on the East Coast is that I have Fraser Island - 90 miles long, then Big Woody, another 15 miles long and a mangrove forest between me & the Ocean which is Bay & not Surf type water so we don't get the spray they do in other parts.
When I was at the Gold Coast, I had the same problem with salt spray and whilst we do get a slight vapour it's not enough to show up in the water tests and I would suspect even be less than the salt content of the reticulated supply given the salination problems they've created in most of the flood plains supplying the dams.
Alan S
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

John,
The biggest difference between me & most on the East Coast is that I have Fraser Island - 90 miles long, then Big Woody, another 15 miles long and a mangrove forest between me & the Ocean which is Bay & not Surf type water so we don't get the spray they do in other parts.
When I was at the Gold Coast, I had the same problem with salt spray and whilst we do get a slight vapour it's not enough to show up in the water tests and I would suspect even be less than the salt content of the reticulated supply given the salination problems they've created in most of the flood plains supplying the dams.
Alan S
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

John,
Alan S
Alan,
Via a distant forum.....
I can quite understand that. Agree completely.
I'm using BP coolant and changing every two years. Seems fine. Low mileage on these cars so I've doubled their change interval. Coolant I ditch looks like new.
Sensitive issue, isn't it?
Thanks.
JohnW