Fitting a turbo on a Citroen ZX 1.8i Paris

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

luismend
My Cars:

Fitting a turbo on a Citroen ZX 1.8i Paris

Post by luismend »

Hi,
I'm considering adding a turbo-compressor to my 1996 ZX Paris 1.8i.
Could you give me some advice on this issue?
I don't want to make a drag racer, I just want my car a bit more ~smart~ I think 130-150 bhp would do fine. What are the specs of the Volcano turbo? Could I use the same kit for a ZX 1.8i?
Could someone send me or indicate me where to find/buy a pdf of the manual for my car?
Thank you!!

Post by Jon »

Um,
Well, there was never a 1.8 turbo version of the ZX or for that matter Xantia or any other Citroen with the 1.8 XU engine as far as I am aware. The ZX Volcane for Europe was powered by either a 1.9 or 2.0 8v injected engine, or a 1.9 turbo diesel.
Your best plan would be to fit the XU10J4 engine from a Zx 16 valve, normally aspirated, and giving 155BHP, the XU9J4 from a BX 16V giving 160 BHP, or, if you really want a turbo the XU10J2TE engine from a Xantia or XM 2.0 turbo.
ZXdanslamaison

Post by ZXdanslamaison »

Do not waste your time - the ZX is not a performance car. Besides, adding a turbo to any car means upgrading and changing pretty much everything else. By the time you have finished you might aswell have bought a dedicated turbo car. Get a saab 900 turbo (classic style) and with 175bhp stock it will wipe the floor with any Gti.
Sorry to say this on a citroen board though...[8D]
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ZXdanslamaison</i>

Get a saab 900 turbo (classic style) and with 175bhp stock it will wipe the floor with any Gti.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
...and spend all of your spare time changing gearboxes that can't cope with the power, adjusting the front handbrake, fixing non-working electric windows, coping with power steering that only has power assistance when turning left when its cold, changing wheel bearings, changing calipers, changing clutches and driving along keeping an eye on somewhere to pull over into quickly when the fuel pump relay fails again leaving the car dead.
Just don't ask me how I know [:(]
I did enjoy driving it though [;)] but it emptied my wallet even quicker than it went.[:0]
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

i have a xantia 1998 v6 3.0 and i can just about keep up with 2.0 turbo calibra's, so this may be an idea.
ZXdanslamaison

Post by ZXdanslamaison »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arry_b</i>

[quote]
I did enjoy driving it though [;)] but it emptied my wallet even quicker than it went.[:0]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
hehe that sounds familiar. Lets just say that I learnt alot of hands on car maintenance during my ownership... I would buy another, but not as a daily driver.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

There were some nice touches though, designed much like a Citroen in some ways.
I liked the way the clutch was on the front of the engine and you could change it in a couple of hours from above.
It was a very different car than the V6 XM it replaced in my stable.