Xantia rear strut removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kilianmanning

Xantia rear strut removal

Post by kilianmanning »

Hello guys.
Having more hardship with my xantias rear suspension.
The part ( strut I'm calling it ) that the rear left sphere screws into has developed a small hole just where it meets the sphere & is leaking.

Is there any tricks to removing the strut? Doesn't look too nice to change!

Kilian
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xantia rear strut removal

Post by RichardW »

kilianmanning wrote:
Is there any tricks to removing the strut?
See here: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=44218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kilianmanning wrote: Doesn't look too nice to change!
You are (probably) not wrong..... :twisted:
Richard W
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Its not actually that bad - or maybe I've just done it that often now. Is it actually a hole in the rear suspension cylinder or is it the o ring seal between the sphere and the cylinder?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It all depends on whether the pin will come out or not....!

Likely that the end of the cylinder has gone rotten. If you're not too fussed it can be fixed in situ - CMorewood has a supply of Dowty seals, so you could just file the lip off in place and fit the seal. Just need to clean the filings out of the ram before refitting the sphere.
Richard W
kilianmanning

Post by kilianmanning »

rory_perrett wrote:Its not actually that bad - or maybe I've just done it that often now. Is it actually a hole in the rear suspension cylinder or is it the o ring seal between the sphere and the cylinder?
So it isn't too big of a job? Yes a hole has appeared in the steel right up to where the sphere screws on. Almost looks like a chip more than a hole but it has exposed the seal on the sphere
kilianmanning

Post by kilianmanning »

RichardW wrote:It all depends on whether the pin will come out or not....!

Likely that the end of the cylinder has gone rotten. If you're not too fussed it can be fixed in situ - CMorewood has a supply of Dowty seals, so you could just file the lip off in place and fit the seal. Just need to clean the filings out of the ram before refitting the sphere.
A small hole has appeared in the part that the sphere screws onto, partially exposing the rubber seal on the sphere. I have a full axle out of another xantia so I will be swapping them
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Never really gone into it but I discovered that there is more than one size of fluid supply pipe. I stripped my previous 1998 2.1td exclusive hatch for spares to use on my 2000 Hdi Exclusive hatch. I can't remember why I was trying to swap the cylinders or which one had the bigger diameter fitting, but it didn't fit. I only found out once I'd got everything off and the replacement one in position, came to connect up the fluid supply pipe and found the difference. So off it all had to come again and the old one put back on. If you can check before you start it might save you having to do it twice, although you will be quicker the second time. :lol:
kilianmanning

Post by kilianmanning »

Got it done anyway, wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be!