Xantia Vibration at low revs !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

harryjoe
My Cars:

Xantia Vibration at low revs !

Post by harryjoe »

Hi all once again.

Its that time of the year the Mot's are due on both the Xantia and the Saab both within a week of each other and both need taxing at the end of the month too. #-o

Bad planning :-D

Now the issue I have with the Xantia is as follows: (I will do my best to describe) - on my HDI at low revs (more in third and forth) say around 1200rpm I have a vibration coming from the front n/s, now I thought it would be anti roll bar bushes or wishbone bushes, I have checked these this morning with a prise bar and they all feel tight.

The vibration sound like its metal to metal, but on putting the brakes on the noise disappears, also driving with the handbrake on its first notch there is no noise either (only did this for a very short time)!.

I have checked the disc and calipers as these were new and fitted by a local garage last year and again all feels tight.

Any idea's ?? could it be an engine mount ?

Or is it a visit to Malcolm's workshop ! Are you free Malcolm ? :rofl2:
1998 Xantia 1.8i 16v Auto (sold)
1997 Xantia 1.9 TD Estate (Resting with 231k) zzzzzz
1989 BX 19 RD (In a barn awaiting TLC)
2002 C5 2.2 HDI Auto Estate (Sold)
1994 XM 2.0 Turbo (Sold)
1983 Bertone X1/9 VS
1995 405 1.8 GLX Estate (sold)
2000 Xantia Estate 2l HDI 110K
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xantia Vibration at low revs !

Post by RichardW »

Well known problem on these - these brake calipers rattle. There were some beefy (in construction and price!) anti-rattle springs available from Citroen to relieve this, but they are NFP now. You will just have to live with it - best advice it just not to labour the engine at those revs....! I found mine was much better after I changed the cambelt, and disabled the EGR valve which made it run smoother at low revs.
Richard W