rough upon startup

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rich201283
My Cars:

rough upon startup

Post by rich201283 »

i have a r reg 1.9td and it always takes 2 flicks of the glow plugs which is pretty much normal, but it will run like it is running on 3 cylinders for 1 or 2 secounds upon startup then it will be fine, this only happens when it has been stood overnight and can be started during the day with no problems.
i have tryed lostening the injectors one by one to see if there is a change in noise, and all 4 cylinders chand in noise when each injector is lossened so there cant be anything wrong with the compression if this is right how i have tested it?
has anyone got any other ideas?
BigMac

Post by BigMac »

Yup - glo plugs.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Two flicks of the glow plugs ain't normal ;)
You've probably got at least one not working. Cheap enough to replace - get the correct Beru ones from GSF - NOT the crap they sell in Halfords etc.
Bit of a bugger to get to them all though.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Rich, I have to confirm Arry's comment, my own car glo light comes on for several seconds (never actually timed it) then goes off. no flicker, blips etc, just an 'on' pause..., and off sequence, the car starts fine as soon as the light goes out.
I get the odd miss-=fire on starting if I havent used the car for a week or so, but nothing serious, more a sort of hiccup first time I turn the key, but it starts easily and quickly. So it sounds like Arry hit the proverbial nail..
Cheers,.. James..
PS Arry? Re my bid on Ebay, I emailed the seller on day one to ask if the seat is ajustable for height, to date I have recieved no reply.. Looks a bit ominous huh... Fortunately I havent parted with any cash yet... :-)
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Although your Glowplug light may go out after a few seconds, the glowplugs actually stay on glowing for approx. 1 to 2 mins. If hold or listen to your glowplug heater relay you should hear or feel the main relay drop out after this time. I found that on a really cold morning its best to wait about 10 secs after the light out, then start without any problems.
I agree about the comments the Halford glowplugs, I had experience with these being useless. What ever make your have, make sure they are Rapid heat, I've found NGK plugs to be good and have been in use for 30k and this is the second winter for them.
Sooty
1.9td ZX
Huwbruin
My Cars:

Post by Huwbruin »

Hi Rich
Just found this forum....
I'd agree with the others - definitely sounds like the glow plugs.
I had the same symptoms on my 93 ZX td Volcane - I bought a set of Beru gps from GSF and managed to fit 3 - the fourth is IMPOSSIBLE to reach with normal size hands and the contents of an enthusiasts toolbox....
Unfortunately, the pesky thing is the one which was worst - the others were showing their age- so I still entertain the neighbours with a dumper truck impersonation ( or rather the car does) each morning.[:I]
NB If anyone has a handy hint on how to reach the extreme r/h glow plug (viewed from the front) - the one which is located underneath/behind the diesel pump- please pass it on....
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

i think all citroen deisels have a glowplug that is hard to reach i wonder why.... maybe citroen can tell us!!!!anyway reason the one you can't reach is the worst is cos its never been got at previously and all other 3's have been changed, maybe someone can tell me if i would have the same prob on my XM td 2.1 i'm contemplating changing glowplugs soon.
ta guys.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try the search button guys [8D]
- as you're definately not the first facing this teaser.
Can't really help - as my experience is only from the BX 1.9 n/a diesel - still a teaser - but nothing like the descriptions I've read earlier here on this forum.
AFAIR it's a combination of getting that smart socket for the job - and then remove a few items in the way - easier said than done I know.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Clock this thread for a bit of help on the awkward plug.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=2832
Dave
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Going back to the original thread, I have been having trouble with my 1.9td first start of the day. It sounds bloody awful once it starts! Loads of smoke, misfire and clattering. Then it clears and runs fine. Problem is I changed the glow plugs the other day, using the Beru plugs from GSF, changed the oil as well, and have started using Millers Diesel Plus too.
It cranks very well, I've primed the pump beforehand and checked for leaks in the pipework. Just that first start of the day![:(]
Any ideas??
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Shot Coldstart device ?
Liky on a 10y old car.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Have you checked that the glowplugs are actually working? (meter)
I did have a similar problem on a n/a diesel BX which was caused by the cam belt being slightly slack
Mike
PS digital multimeters are that cheap in UK that there should be one carried in every car (£5)
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Try squeezing the fuel bulb before starting, see if that makes a difference
Stewart
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

Experienced the same symptoms on my 1992 XM 2.1 turbo diesel 18 months ago. That was due to worn out glowplugs as well. I had a nightmare trying to replace them as a previous owner had over tightened them and rounded off most of the plug hexagonals. Had to use a combination of deep 'wall driver' socket and a stud removal tool! It doesn't help when one of the plugs lies just between the injector pump and cylinder head. Use a good quality spanner for that one. I fitted a set of Citroen plugs from GSF and the car has been a good starter ever since. You may already know this but apply a smear of copper based grease to the plug threads and dont over tighten as they have a tapered seat. Nip them up then tighten a further eigth of a turn.
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Yep Glow plugs changed already, I'm thinking it might be the idea about the glowplugs not working at all. If they're not getting a feed (voltage) how do you establish the cause??
Is it the wiring or the timer/relay? You can hear the relay click off after 20 seconds or so, the dash lights normally brighten up a touch as well. Thats what I normally use to time the preheat, I wait for the lighting to brighten!! Can't say I've noticed that recently though???