p reg 1900td sx xantia estate idler pully

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ukmobileman
My Cars:

p reg 1900td sx xantia estate idler pully

Post by ukmobileman »

thinking of buying a 1900td estate to replace my xantia td saloon
only problem i can see is a noisey/rough idler puller or tensioner for the h/p pump, this idler roller or tensioner sits just below and to left of h/p pump when looked at from above its rattles and vibrates like hell when cold, when warm just plain noisey. the car also had A/C, is it a common failure (120,000 miles) or will aux units have caused this by starting to fail or going stiff etc?
rich201283
My Cars:

Post by rich201283 »

i had a citroen zx i bought and it had a rough noisey idler pully which once change it was fine and never had any problems after that, it is a common problem on theses engines where the berings in the tentioner fail.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I had a similar problem with my Estate. The idler pulley vibrated when cold but was quite when warm. I replaced the aux drive belt and that cured the problem.....
....for a week.....
then it was noisy again. It turned out that I had not tightened the bottom eccentric fixed tensioner pulley, the top one is spring loaded, enough. I had done it as specified in the Haynes 'Spawn of the Devil' book but it was not tight enough. I tightened it to 'Grunting' torque and it has been ok ever since.
The aux belt is not too difficult to change but you need a piece of about 5 mm round bar to hold the upper spring loaded idler pulley up whilst you change the belt.
Richard
sandancer

Post by sandancer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichG</i>

I replaced the aux drive belt and that cured the problem.....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Make sure you get the correct sized Aux belt. There are at least three I know of.
Recently replaced the cambelt and did the Aux at the same time. While doing it found I had the wrong one (far too small). Got it replaced but was a tad larger (by about 5mm). Fitted and seemed ok. Short while later the tensioner rattled like Billy-O at about 1000 rpm. Fitted a new tensioner and still did it. After speaking to the local motor factors, turns out there is a slightly smaller belt for engines fitted with a different type of aircon compressor (name escapes me). Fitted that one and all now ok.
Suggest removing the belt, and checking for roughness of the Idler bearings. If OK, suspect the belt / tension. If not, replace the tensioner (and the belt).
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I too was given a choice of aux drive belts depending on the number of bolts on the alternator! and the air-con compressor type. The actual belt number is stamped on the belt itself and mine, after 45000 miles, was still quite readable.
Richard