Xantia Fuel module in Tank

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

larkspeed
My Cars: 2004 Citroen C2 VTR 1.6 16v

Xantia Fuel module in Tank

Post by larkspeed »

1998 Xantia 1.8i 8v Hatch

I'm wondering if the fuel pump/sender module is the same in all the models of this car.

My fuel gauge is all over the place and I have tested the gauge to make sure that is working properly and that's fine.

This tells me the sender is at fault, I was going to get a new sender from the scrap yard but this model is rather unusual here I tend to only find the 2.0L, 1.9D for the 2.0HDI

Also are there any other cars from the Citroen/Renault/Peugeot group that use the same module?
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Re: Xantia Fuel module in Tank

Post by rory_perrett »

All the petrol models seem to use the same sender/pump unit part number 1525-77. The diesels are different. Whether the fuel level sender is the same in the diesels and petrols is anyone's guess but if you can find a 2.0ltr petrol the unit should be the same.
larkspeed
My Cars: 2004 Citroen C2 VTR 1.6 16v

Post by larkspeed »

Thanks for the reply,

In the meantime I pulled the unit from the tank and had a look and the braided flex cable was frayed at one end.

I cleaned it up and re-soldered it and on a multimeter it has a nice constant increase of resistance through the entire sweep of the float now.

I put it back together and the needle seems to stay still a lot better but now it seems to jump about a bit but not madly like it was.

it was at the top of the reserve with the fuel light on when I put it back together

I put 10 euro of fuel in it (6.2 liters approx) and it went up to 1/4 tank and stayed there nice and steady as I drove it across town to the shop.

when I came out of the shop it raised straight back to 1/4 tank but after driving about 100 meters it jumped to 1/2 and sat there.

Got home turned the car off and let the needle settle and then started it back up and it was in between R and 1/4

Does this mean I have more problems or does it take a bit for the needle to find it's level after repair?
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

We like cheap fixes. It shouldn't need time to settle after a repair, but I have noticed that the sort of fluctuations you have described can happen in normal operation. I can see getting on for a 1/4 tank variation depending on car battery voltage, whether the car had been parked on a slope and probably a number of other factors.