2.0 Hdi Berlingo gearbox codes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

srx600

2.0 Hdi Berlingo gearbox codes

Post by srx600 »

Hi, My wifes 2003 2.0HDi Berlingo, with 160000 miles on it, has started to whine, the noise increases as the road speed increases and occurs even with the clutch dipped. If I jack the car up and spin the wheels the nearside is fine but the offside grumbles. The wheel bearings seem fine (just passed MOT) and the noise appears to be coming from either the drive shaft centre bearing or the diff. I checked the gearbox oil level, there was plenty in the gearbox but oddly it came out black and was rather thin.
The code on the gearbox is 20DM52, I have been trying to find a second hand gearbox, there seem to be a number of alternative gearboxes for this car but I am struggling to find a 20DM52.
Does anyone know if an alternative box will fit and what the gearbox codes actually mean ?

Cheers

Steve
Northern_Mike

Re: 2.0 Hdi Berlingo gearbox codes

Post by Northern_Mike »

srx600 wrote:Hi, My wifes 2003 2.0HDi Berlingo, with 160000 miles on it, has started to whine, the noise increases as the road speed increases and occurs even with the clutch dipped. If I jack the car up and spin the wheels the nearside is fine but the offside grumbles. The wheel bearings seem fine (just passed MOT)
My money would still be on a wheel bearing. I've had a couple of cars pass MOTs with very noisy bearings - they only fail if they've got play or feel rough. Wheel bearing failures don't seem uncommon over on the Berlingoforum , but apart from worn synchro on 3rd, gearbox and diff problems are very rare.
srx600

Re: 2.0 Hdi Berlingo gearbox codes

Post by srx600 »

The_Hairdresser wrote:
srx600 wrote:Hi, My wifes 2003 2.0HDi Berlingo, with 160000 miles on it, has started to whine, the noise increases as the road speed increases and occurs even with the clutch dipped. If I jack the car up and spin the wheels the nearside is fine but the offside grumbles. The wheel bearings seem fine (just passed MOT)
My money would still be on a wheel bearing. I've had a couple of cars pass MOTs with very noisy bearings - they only fail if they've got play or feel rough. Wheel bearing failures don't seem uncommon over on the Berlingoforum , but apart from worn synchro on 3rd, gearbox and diff problems are very rare.
Good call I have stripped the hub and the bearing makes more noise than I would expect. I just need to find someone to press the new one in now.

Cheers

Steve