Xantia radiator problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caspm

Xantia radiator problems

Post by caspm »

Hi, and mary X-mas.
I have a problem with my Xantia 2 A/C. When heater is set to max, the air inside the car is hot, but when I set the temp. to 26 degres the air is very cold (with and without the A/C on). The temp. set is only given me problems when i drive over 100 km/h. I have noticed that the radiator is hot for about 2/3, but the 1/3 in the buttom is cold - even when the car has done 50 km on the highway.
Can anyone help me??
Best regards - Casper, Denmark
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hej Casper [;)] -
A bit odd problem as pr your description.
I could think of a couple teasers in your cooling system :
1) low coolant level (or an air lock) - Top up the coolant fluid - then try park the car nose steep up - then run the engine idle for some 10-20 mins - finally rev'ing it a bit to make the pump work out the fluid. This will make any air lock burp out to the pressure bottle.
When engine reaches normal temp - it's indicated by the raditor fan coming on.
Have the cabin heat fully on - to allow flow in the heater matrix.
NOTE : Check engine oil level before you park the car nose up.
WARNING : let the engine cool down at least 1/2 an hour BEFORE you open the coolant filler cap.
2) While you let the engine idle/heat above - hold your hand on the large top hose running in to the radiator - or the radiator body just nearby. The temp should STAY cool for longish - then suddenly raise as the thermostat opens at hot engine.
If the temp raises slowly for ages - and does not seem to make you burn your hand - the thermostat is defective - stuck partly open.
3) You may have the dreaded A/C system sensors problem. Have been discussed extensively before. Use the search button upper right.
4) The cold bottom of the radiator is indicative of a partly gunked up radiator. Please note that it will be neceassary to clean (flush) the radiator as soon as spring comes with warm weather. There is a risc your radiator indeed have large degraded cooling capacity - which in turn puts your engine in risc of overheating.
caspm

Post by caspm »

Hej Anders.
Thanks for your advice.
I will try it out one of the days.
Godt nytår - Casper