Mollyslip Gearbox Additive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ydidibyadamcitroen
My Cars:

Mollyslip Gearbox Additive

Post by ydidibyadamcitroen »

Hio some time ago I put some Molyslip into my gearbox to try to proterct it from wear due to high milage 200000+.
2 Months later my diff shattered and smashd through the gearbox casing,
Total cost of repair inc Clutch and second hnd box £685.
Plus car off road for 4 days.
Niow I can't be sure if the additive had anything to do with this, althogh I would not use it again after this experience.
Has any one had any similar probs with additives, or gearboxes with or without additives?
[:(]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Why did you buy adamned Citroen ?
If you've bought yourself a F**rd you'd never even thought about such an event [:o)]
Honestly - I think that snakeslip exactly postponed the unevetible for 2 months [:p]
ydidibyadamcitroen
My Cars:

Post by ydidibyadamcitroen »

I guess you are probably right, Apart from that though the car is the best Ive ever had done near 300000 miles no probs at all with engine.
I am well pleased with it.
Its time to change it now but I would def have another Cit.
Adam
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Adam, I have been using 'Molyslip' in all my car engines and gearboxes for the last 40 odd years, and so far, touch wood, I have NEVER had a major engine or gearbox failure. I know that proves nothing.. But.. I will continue to use it 'just in case' ;-)
Erm is your "diff" enclosed within the gearbox housing? i.e. fed by the same oil?? If it isn't, what steps did you take to lubricate it? and when?
I get ALL my fluids and oils changed every 10.000 miles. (plus, with the 1.9 diesel engine I also change the engine oil only, every 3000.)..
Cheers.. James..
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

My gearbox on my ZX wines a little in 1st and 2nd, so after checking the level i put in some molyslip... no difference! but the wining hasn't got any worse in the year that i have owned the car so im not too bothered really
R
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Folks,
Is this the BE3 gearbox?
Diffs are a known weakness area, and components often leave via the alloy casing...
The BE3 on my Pug 405 had a nasty "clunk-clunk" on left turns for around 20K. No, it wasn't the drive shafts. My tame engineer suspected the diff bearing. The car went to "The Happy Hunting Ground" at 251K before the diff got a chance to fail.
So....probably nothing to do with the snake oil.
HTH
rg