C5 2.2 HDI Auto Trans problem....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tintin
My Cars:

C5 2.2 HDI Auto Trans problem....

Post by Tintin »

Hi Everyone

The auto box on my 2002 C5 2.2 HDI did something very peculiar today; I was sitting in traffic stopped at a red light, the car was in drive and then when the traffic light turned green and it was time to move off, it was if the car was in neutral, the car just rolled backward with no drive whatsoever. To get it back to drive again I shifted backwards and forwards from park to drive and back again something like 5 times. It eventually went back into gear and I drove off normally.
This episode has me very worried. The car has 200000km on it and hasn't had a transmission service, do you think a service will "cure" things or has anyone heard of a problem like this? There are no transmission leaks either.

Many thanks to you all.

Craig
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: C5 2.2 HDI Auto Trans problem....

Post by Stickyfinger »

200000km
I guess a oil change may be revived with great thanks.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: C5 2.2 HDI Auto Trans problem....

Post by CitroJim »

If this car has a ZF 4HP20 then it is possible the 'time bomb' is getting ready to go off and it is on the verge of dying with a plugged oil filter and decomposing torque converter.... 200000Km (160,000 miles) is about the time it can start...

Hopefully though it's just an electrical glitch as normally if the 'box is about to throw in the towel it starts making horrible whining and screaming noises..

Has it happened since?

A fluid change is always a good idea but do only use LT71141 in it... No substitutes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...