Non starter Bx

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Catalin
My Cars:

Non starter Bx

Post by Catalin »

Hi guys and Happy Holidays to you all !
Unfortunately I have a very big problem with my BX Gt. The car is a non starter.
Let me explain:
It seemed that the car was getting sluggish so 2 weeks ago I decided to do some maintenance on the car:
- changed the oil and filter
- bought a bottle of fuel additive which was supposed to remove the carbon deposits from the combustion chamber. Instead of using it as directed (mix with a tank of fuel) I poured~10cc into each combustion chamber and left it to soak overnight. Next day the car started after a bit of struggle then, as expected, coughed a lot of smoke for the first 2 minutes. After that I took it for a 15 minutes drive. Everything was OK, the engine was full of life again, I was very happy.
As I have a company car, lately the Bx is used only from time to time so that was the last time I used the car. Yesterday I decided to take it for a spin - unsuccessfully! It refuses to start.
After using all my "magic" I changed the plugs, the distributor (not only the cap) , the spark is strong, the fuelling is ok, I even poured gas directly into the carb. The starter turns ok but the engine doesn't give ANY sign of life. I have spent in total 6 hours and there was not even ONE sign of combustion.
Weather is cold and humid : minus 4C and 90% humidity. The other car (Peugeot 306) started the second attempt. Last year the car started even at minus 25C !
Could the additive be the culprit? What do you think?
10x
Catalin
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

If there is fuel, a strong spark and the timing hasn't been changed "something" should happen!
As the car was becoming sluggish before you worked on it, are you sure the petrol pump is working. If the outlet pipe is removed, fuel should spurt some distance.
I assume you smell unburn petrol coming from the exhaust pipe?
You have changed the plugs - otherwise I would have suspected that they would be carboned-up due to the additive burning off.