EGR Electrovalve Being a Git

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chlorate
My Cars:

EGR Electrovalve Being a Git

Post by Chlorate »

Hello all,

These funny electrovalves again!

So after over a year of faultless motoring, the car detected that its MOT month so had to throw me a curve-ball (as always).

This time said curve ball is more annoying than anything else - orange light of pain, no boost - the culprit? EGR electrovalve intermittent fault.
Yes, the EGR electrovalve that is not connected to any of the vacuum system and does precisely sod all.

Cleared the fault last night hoping it'd not bother me again, only for it to come right back this morning and make my drive to work somewhat more boring.

These valves are really silly money for what they are and I'd rather not get a new one just to keep the ECU happy.

I can't recall any way of disabling the thing through Lexia, I should imagine this would involve reprogramming the ECU itself and I don't feel like tempting fate so much.

Can't disconnect the electrovalve or stick a bit of wire across the pins in the plug, else it'd just say open/short circuit, as it'd be looking for some sort of resistance (although since it's a solenoid of sorts, perhaps impedance is the proper term).
Sounds fun...has anyone figured out a way of tricking the ECU into thinking the EGR electrovalve is healthy?

Many thanks,

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: EGR Electrovalve Being a Git

Post by RichardW »

Measure the resistance of the Turbo valve and fit one the same? Are you sure it's the EGR valve - surprised that will put the EML on and give limp mode, but then it is a Citroen.... :lol:
Richard W
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Indeed, a fixed resistor would probably do the job, I'm wondering whether an old fuel injector (which I have a box of from my kit car project) would also do the trick.
It may be kicking off limp mode because it's happening as well as a intermittent fault with the TPS where #2 is lagging behind #1 occasionally.
Will find out when I get back home.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

If it is just a solenoid and doesn't have any position feedback to the ECU I don't see any reason that a resistor and if necessary an inductor (though I doubt that would be needed) to match the characteristics of the solenoid couldn't be used.

Just need someone with a good one to measure it so you can get the necessary bits in. Would be worth finding out how much current the solenoid pulls as well so you know what power rating you will need to specify for the resistor.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.