Xantia master cylinder leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jim the janny

Xantia master cylinder leak

Post by Jim the janny »

Hi guys new on this forum so be gentle with me lol ok the problem I have is the I have a 1998 xantia turbo diesel which I love but the master cylinder Is leaking.i spoke to my local garage who said its a huge job and quoted a £1000.ive heard you can buy a repair kit but I'm unsure how to repair it. Any advice thanks in advance
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia master cylinder leak

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the forum :-D

They're wrong... If the leak is into the inside of the car then the only problem is a split in the rubber cap over the end of the brake dosuer valve (the analogue of the master cylinder) where the brake pedal plunger acts against it..

The rubber cap is readily available and easy enough, if not a little fiddly, to replace...

Certainly a DIY job...

I'm sure one of our members will soon be along to explain exactly how and post up a few diagrams showing exactly what you need..

One thing, if the leak is inside then you'll find the LHM fluid will have run under the driver's footwell carpet and soaked into the underlay and the sound-deadening panels on the floor. You'll find it a right royal mess and the LHM melts the sound-deadening panels and they turn to goo..

Even if the leak is external it's still not a hard job to replace the valve...

One source of an external leak into the engine bay is a split in the leakage return pipe from the valve back to the LHM reservoir...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

were are you located

here is price and part No. of the protector rubber cap and the aluminum retaining ring from Citroen

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
5424455 CNTRL-UNIT RING 3.61 GBP 4.33 GBP 4.33 GBP

95640067 BRAKE PROTECTOR 6.64 GBP 7.97 GBP 7.97 GBP

these are the two parts required to fix the in cab citro blood leak Sir Jim mentioned

if you look from inside to the bulkhead behind the brake pedal, you will see/find two 11mm nuts which you need to remove
( mind they dont drop behind the carpet under felt ),

now from under the bonnet you need to remove the turbo ducting that runs down behind the O/S = UK drivers side of the engine,

now gently ease the dosur valve away from the bulk head and into the engine bay, and very very gently rotate it around so the end that normally points into the car is facing at an angle to allow you to prize the retaining ring out, followed by the rubber protector cap,
you will find this has a rib on its outer circumference that sits in a groove in the opening of the valve body, so you need to pick this out with a small screw driver,

the other leak Sir Jim mentioned is a rubber hose that attaches to the underside of the valve body, so the above procedure is the same, so you can gain access to cut and join the rubber hose/pipe,

i usually cut off the split section and a good few inches then re/join the good section with a length of kunifer (copper nickle ) of the correct diameter,

the only reason to use kunifer is it bends to the required shape easier than steel pipe
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ps. not another Jim!!! we shall have to call Sir Jim ( citrojim ) Jim the obi wan ( oby 1 )
Regards, malcolm.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:ps. not another Jim!!! we shall have to call Sir Jim ( citrojim ) Jim the obi wan ( oby 1 )
:rofl2:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jim the janny

Post by Jim the janny »

I'm in dundee scotland guys thank you soooo much for the advice I really like the car but couldn't justify paying £1000 for a repair.its such a relief that it's a easy fix thanks again guys
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jim, that's excellent and this kind of thing is exactly what the forum is for :wink:
Jim

exect

Post by exect »

My local mobile car mechanic changed mine for £60 when I supplied the parts.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

so Aki the nooo see you Jimmy ( the new title is just to save confusion with all these Jim's
you dont say if the citro blood is filling the drivers foot well or leaking in the engine bay????
Regards, malcolm.

Jim the janny

Post by Jim the janny »

Ha ha you may call Lord james of scotland
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Mr James your honor
you still did not say if the citro blood were/is leaking into the drivers foot well or in the engine bay ??????
Regards, malcolm.