Starting problems with 2005 C5 2l hdi VTR

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tlwalker
New User

Starting problems with 2005 C5 2l hdi VTR

Post by tlwalker »

I bought this car from I guess a dodgy dealer.On first start of the day takes about 5 goes and is noisy & smokey, but is OK starting rest of day and runs very well returning about 47 mpg around town . Had it in local garage 6 weeks whilst abroad They changed all glowplugs,3 injectors & exhaust recirculating valve, all to no avail. They say compression figures are OK but fault seems to be associated with No. 4 cylinder not wanting to start ( it being somewhat cooler due to position). They feel I may have a slight bend in crankshaft which would be too expensive in view of value of car.
A further anomaly is I keep getting about 6 sharp pips and on screen message saying "Input1" and a sign but it is not on screen long enough to read.

Any ideas would be welcome Terry (frustrated from Shrewsbury)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Starting problems with 2005 C5 2l hdi VTR

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome Terry :-D

I'm moving this post to the Citroen area where I'm sure you will receive a few thoughts on the issue...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

My thoughts are that the garage don't know what they are talking about. It needs to go on a Lexia to see if there are any recorded error messages first of all.

If it's starting and running ok apart from the first start of the day, I'd say it'll either be a dying starter motor (reasonably common on older 2.0HDi engines) or air getting into the fuel system.

Their "bent crank" idea is rather fanciful, IMO, to say the least.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Terry, the 1.6 HDi is known to 'bend' cranks :rofl2: , as its a terrible engine all round but I've not heard that about the 2.0HDi engine. Might be worth asking your garage to perform a blowdown test as that could point to either head gasket or valve problems, which are usually more prevalent on engines starting from cold. Does it start easily when warmed up?

Its also worth checking battery voltage and continuity for both +ve & earth leads & terminations. Are your battery terminals clean & tight? You only need a small voltage drop on one of the terminals to make the ECU go garrety and the engine failing to fire. Any high resistance in the starting circuit will hamper the starter motor cranking over with enough gusto. :shock:

Might be worth getting the car plugged into a Lexia as that will highlight any issues that the car has & not just about starting. Does your garage have proper Citroen Lexia diagnostics? If not, I'm sure there are a few forum members that could oblige.

If all else fails, contact Technical at Citroen for any known issues on this model/engine. They are usually helpful.

Handyman
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Well I will stand by AUDI Mike on this....if they do not have a Lexia they are guessing at best, at worst just changing things in hope with you paying.
I believe at present only the $$ expensive code readers can do what the Lexia can so it is unlikely they have one.

Poor starting is often the low pressure tank pump (if you have one), or pressure regulator, blocked fuel filter...all more common

Shoot me but.....this engine ALWAYS has glow plug problems reported but it does not matter unless it is Stupid Cold as per Russia.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:
Shoot me but.....this engine ALWAYS has glow plug problems reported but it does not matter unless it is Stupid Cold as per Russia.
Yes, the Berlingo always has them. The glowplugs work fine.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There are members on the forum who have Lexia clones, and are willing to help out with them. Take a look on the following link, find the ones nearest to you, and PM them to see if they can help;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its an 8 valve engine the pressure regulator on the HP pump can cause all sorts of problems including poor starting, I don't know if the system is the same on the 16 valve.

Peter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Genuine-B ... 4d2b80c3e2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;