2.0 hdi 136 cam belt change 'how to'

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johntom

2.0 hdi 136 cam belt change 'how to'

Post by johntom »

Hi
Can any one point me towards a how to guide for cam belt replacement for 2008, 2.0 hdi 136 ?
Thanks
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: 2.0 hdi 136 cam belt change 'how to'

Post by vborovic »

Which car?
johntom

Post by johntom »

Sorry it's s C5, I thought the 2.0 136 hdi were all the same.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Will this be of any help?

http://www.filedropper.com/c5timingbelt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
johntom

Post by johntom »

That's great thank you
johntom

Post by johntom »

Daft question In terms of lining up the flywheel and camshaft timing pins/holes.
When the camshaft sprocket lines up with its timing hole (at 4 o'clock position), should the flywheel timing hole line up every rotation of the camshaft sprocket, ie is 1 full turn of the camshaft equal to 1 full turn of the crankshaft/flywheel (hope that makes sense) ?
The camshaft pin is in, it's just that the hole in the flywheel doesn't feel very deep with the pin and I wanted to be sure it was the correct hole.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've done one of these and apart from removing the top timing belt cover it was dead easy. A lovely job..

I didn't lock the crank, just marked it's position when the cam was locked.

The tensioner is so easy to set too...

John tom, as I recall the timing is just like any other PSA diesel in that the crank keyway is at about 11 o'clock when on time with the cam locked at 4 o'clock.

The crank rotates twice for every one rotation of the cam sprocket. So only one in two times will you see the correct relationship.

If you loose the timing, always rotate by hand slowly before going for a start to check no pistons are kissing valves due to the timing being way off. Get it right be fire trying to start.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
johntom

Post by johntom »

That's great Jim, thanks for replying, I couldn't remember if the relationship was 1 or 2 rotations (been a while since I last changed a cam belt). I can give it another rotation tomorrow just to be sure that I've got the right hole (feels more like a dimple?) in the flywheel. Just out of interest, if you only relied on the camshaft position, would it have mattered if the crank was potentially 1 rotation out?
Also there is evidence of oil residue behind the belt, near the water pump and around the crank sensor, are there any other leak areas other than the crank and cam oil seals?
Thanks again.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If the crank is one rotation out then the engine will most likely lock due to valves kissing pistons....

I noticed the engine I did was oily in the cambelt area. So bad it took me an hour of cleaning.... what was odd was I could not determine the source of it although it was very tarry so may have been from the turbo ducting....

It was all over the cam covers and that made their removal a bit unpleasant...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
I have the timing pinned and the belt off now. How involved is replacing the camshaft oil seal?
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

CitroJim wrote:If the crank is one rotation out then the engine will most likely lock due to valves kissing pistons....
Hi all.

Sorry, I've been otherwise engaged, but starting a catchup session now. Reading CitroJim's comment, I was left somewhat confused!
If the crank is one full turn away from the desired position, yet the pin is in the hole in the cam sprocket, then the crank is IN the desired position.
The pistons are in the correct position once every revolution. The crank has no bearing on whether it's a compression or exhaust stroke. That's determined by the cam!
So... if the pin goes in the cam hole, assuming the timing is right, then it MUST fit in the crank too!
Hope that clarifies things for anyone getting tangled up with this...
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think Sir Jim means if the crank is 180 degrees out, not one full turn,

also neglecting to peg of the flywheel but just marking/tipexing it, will just set it as it were previously, so if for arguments sake the timing were out by a tooth or two, it will remain the same,

i always prefer to make sure all pegs are fitted,

another oil leak point is the cam cover/s
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years