Got a C1 as a loan car...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Got a C1 as a loan car...

Post by qprdude »

recently. A C1 "feel" 1.0 petrol.
There is nothing really wrong with the car, if you are happy to just drive for the sake of getting from A to B as cheaply as possible.
The engine was noisy. The boot was tiny. The power was woeful. The gear-change was notchy.
Visibility was good.The brakes were good. The seats were almost comfortable. The touch screen in car entertainment kind of passed me by, as I'm not too happy to look away from the road for long enough to fiddle about with radio stations etc.

Basically, the C1 is probably a good idea for shopping trips or short commutes.

For me, a car is a place of enjoyment, a place where it's nice to be. I drove from Farnborough to Farnham, then on to Woking and back to Farnborough. About 50 miles or so and I wouldn't really like to go much further.

We are kind of in the market for a smaller car than the C5, so that SWIMBO can get rid of her Clio and drive a "family car".
The C1 would be a step too far for me. I had thought that I could live with one of these tiny cars, but nope, I won't be downsizing THAT far any time soon.
8-[
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Northern_Mike

Re: Got a C1 as a loan car...

Post by Northern_Mike »

Tried one a month or so ago with a view to buying a new one. It was ok, but however I adjusted the steering wheel it was too low and the boot was too small. I thought it felt pretty gutless even compared to a 90bhp Berlingo diesel, even thrashed mercilessly. As you say, it would make a great city car or for short journeys, but it wouldn't replace the Berlingo or a C5 in purpose.

Vorsprung berk Technik
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I absolutely love my old-style C1 to bits...

Unlike the new-style C1 it is a very simple, basic no-frills car and therein lies its charm...

I don't recognise any of the failings you saw in my C1...

For running around town and going to and from work, as most of my driving is these days, it is utterly perfect.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

What boot are you talking about? :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote:What boot are you talking about? :lol:
The one at the back that's just big enough to hold a couple of Tesco carrier bags :rofl2:

Or a pair of boots...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

That's why I said it would make a great city car or for short journeys Jim..

Anyway, you're light and slim, and I'm, er, not. It makes a enormous difference in some cars. The driving position in the TT is great but the seats pinch me just in the ribs. I had the same problem with the Subaru. I think XM cloth or Activa cloth are the best Citroen seats, but I reckon you'd disappear down the gaps in the cushions.

Vorsprung berk Technik
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Thing is: When you consider how far the small car has come. We used to think Mini's were great little tools :shock:
Those pretend seats, the dolls house boot , the noise........we are spoiled now. I tried to "get in" a Riley Elf a few weeks ago :rofl2:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I saw an Elf in Woodley today. I remember them well as my grandad had one as a loan car while his smashed up Herald was being fixed back in...the dark ages.

I can't imagine using a Mini as serious transport now. You're right of course, small cars have come such a long way.. kind of. If you think that the Golf, Polo, R4, R5, 104 etc were all around when the Mini and Austin 1100 were the British offerings, maybe they haven't come that far after all.

Vorsprung berk Technik
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I must say, the little C1 was great in a car park! (until I forgot it had no sensors and I actually had to look round when reversing). #-o
As I say, it's perfectly ok for short journeys, but you're just a bit too close to other cars for my liking. The C4 is as small as I'm prepared to go at this stage.
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

If it was me in your position, I would go for the C-Cactus, rather than the C4 ...
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

vborovic wrote:If it was me in your position, I would go for the C-Cactus, rather than the C4 ...
Ha Ha, Not if you had my funds you wouldn't! :rofl2:
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

If we're talking about the new C4 (new from the dealer), than it's price compared to the C-C is some 800-1000 GBP lower, not more (generally speaking, not going into trim details)... if you're considering used cars, that's a whole different ball game ... :D
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I have never bought a new car in my entire life, and I never will unless I win the lottery!
The cheapest used captor on auto-trader is HRK 1352500.73
Far to rich for a pensioner in the UK.
Rick.

old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

qprdude wrote:
We are kind of in the market for a smaller car than the C5, so that SWIMBO can get rid of her Clio and drive a "family car".

[
my OH now as of today is the designated driver of our C5 as a daily, her Focus now gone.
i've convinced her that the C5 is no bigger than the Focus and is in fact easier to drive/park due to the auto handbrake and reversing sensors.
bearing in mind she had a stroke in 07, started driving again in 2010 with a Leon FR 170 DSG, all with no use of left hand/arm, limited walking ability due to restricted left leg movement and wrote off the Leon replacement dec 13, i'm sure your OH just needs a 'little' encouragement?
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

I can recommend a clubman cooper d, i've got one & it's a very good car, fun to drive, very economical, usually does over 60mpg & has got enough room in to fit my family & still has enough space in the boot to get a fair bit of shopping in. Plus its got plenty of toy's such as bluetooth, decent stereo, cruise & climat control to name just a few things.
CX GTI 2 Turbo (LHD) - Sorn
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman