check emissions light on dash??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

check emissions light on dash??

Post by deano1970 »

hi, ok,this is a renault post,but want to put it here as I have before as more read the citroen posts and I want to try this stuff today (hopefully)
I bought an 07 plate laguna diesel estate and have got the check emissions light on the dash,along with the spanner and eml....I have a cheap code reader and can lear the fault,but it comes back on a day later....I have run a bottle of forte diesel treatment through it and dpf treatment,but it still comes on a day later.....I have bought a can of bardahls egr valve cleaner,which lets me apparently clean the egr valve with no dismantling......I want to try this, but want to know if anyone has any experience using it and if it is safe to use? some reviews say it's great,others say the soot etc cleaned out,end up in the cat so could make problems worse down the line? surely these products are tested well to make sure they work and cause no damage? It was £20 for a tin so not cheap,I have found an egr valve for my car for the same money and would have probably bought this if i had seen it first.... But now I have the tin of bardahls cleaner,I want to use it but would appreciate some advice on here first??

At least I know what the so called fault is,thanks to mark,(lighty) changing my dash clocks for me.....oh, the car is not in any sort of limp mode, runs lovely and tickover is absolutely fine? thanks for any advice,cheers,dean....
C5 X7
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: check emissions light on dash??

Post by RichardW »

No idea on the EGR cleaner, but what actually is the fault? No point in throwing time and money at the EGR valve, if it's a turbo fault or something :?
Richard W
deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

Post by deano1970 »

just getting same warning on dash,check emissions, which usually points to the egr or dpf? or so I think?? well, I already bought the egr valve cleaner,and the guy has great feedback,just wanted to know if anyone else had ever used it? I might as well try it now I have paid for it? I clear the fault with my little code reader and it comes back on within a day... P2002 Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold. Although I understand this is generic and sometimes i get more than one code,and the stuff I bought is for the egr and not dpf.....I have put a bottle of wynns dpf cleaner in the tank but no joy as yet.....the same fault keeps re appearing?? cheers,dean.
C5 X7
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Being honest, I've little faith in anything that you throw in the tank. Realistically once it's diluted down with 60 odd litres of diesel I wouldn't be expecting a significant enough amount of it to do anything extreme. Likewise with cars which have DPF regeneration aiding additives built in, throwing random collections of chemicals into things just seems a bad idea.

Disclaimer: No knowledge of this specific car, so everything here is based on generalised knowledge/experience/gut feeling.

EGR valves getting clogged/failing seems to be a common issue pretty much across the board, and if it's stuck or full of carbon it's going to cause a plethora of running issues. Quite possibly also meaning that a DPF regeneration will never take place due to the fault condition existing.

There will surely be a guide to cleaning and/or checking physical operation of the valve out there somewhere. It's going to require you to get your hands dirty though, just stuffing a bottle of something into the fuel tank isn't going to sort it.

As far as the DPF message goes, I think you would really need to get the car onto a proper diagnostic computer so that you can see what readings it is seeing. If the DPF is simply physically blocked it may well simply require to be removed and thoroughly cleaned. It could also be that it's collapsed internally, hence the "efficiency" message, or that one of the sensors is duff...without knowing what the car thinks is going on it's hard to say.

...Sort the EGR valve first though as that shouldn't be too dire to resolve, and should get shot of one error message. Never know, might even be taking the car for a decent run once that's sorted will trigger a DPF regen and sort the other problem.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If the fault code is related to the DPF then it's nothing to do with the EGR valve.... maybe! Google suggests the fault is not uncommon, and may relate to failed pressure sensor, or sensing pipe, or maybe someone's drilled a hole in the DPF and not told the ECU :lol:
Richard W