C5-X7 road noise/drone

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

C5-X7 road noise/drone

Post by Stickyfinger »

Many report this, I had it but thought it was "the car" as so many say they get it with much conversation and speculation on tyres, pressures pattern etc.........

Now, having just done my inner lower ball joint the car is VERY much changed, the background "drone" has gone completely.

My advice is if you think your tyres are making a noise but the handling is still as it was, there are no knocks ect.....then check the joint as for me the road noise has grated me since having it, the very small knock on full lock/slow speed only appeared recently and I now think the road noise is a very good indication that the bearing is dry and going to go soon..
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Re: C5-X7 road noise/drone

Post by mooseshaver »

Thank you. I hate that drone. And I have a knock that can be felt through steering wheel at slow speed lots of turning.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

That is exactly the indication of the lower swivel joints sad to say, do you know when they were last changed ? You can check them with a large pry bar when the car is jacked, however as you have that knock I would say it is the problem. I am just going to the other one in a few weeks as it will go anyway so I might as well do it when in the mood :)

If you are doing them yourself and need a talk thru PM if you need. If an Indi garage, SUPPLY your own bearing or insist on the OM bearing & the protective washer.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

I can't do it myself. So will be sent to garage. I don't think they have ever been done.
It's always done the knocking. Started intermittently and when it was under warranty with Citroen they said it was a badly repaired air intake. They charged me to fix that. Noise did not go away.
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

LOL, were they trained at Hartwells in Abingdon or do main dealers have access to "Do not give a sh@@" training courses. ...Citron Service Centers...we charge if we can :lol: !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Worse. Arnold Shark. Although they were just as bad before they took over.
Gone cars.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

This is the price you pay for having a good ride. (steady). Good multi link suspension is comfy ........but harder to keep tip top and diagnose.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

Although the lower swivel (FRIP) joints are the most likely cause, there are other possibilities: the rear bushing on the lower wishbone is prone to failure, which is most easily detected as a prominent clonk between braking and power take-up. Also, the lower bushing on the front pivot (the large alloy casting that is visible above the top of the wheel, with the strut inside it) has similar characteristics to the swivel joint when it goes. Mine is in for it at the moment- because I've had to give it to the main dealer (no time at the mo), they replaced the whole front pivot (£££), though the bushing is replaceable in principle. I'll get the old one back and rebush it when I have time.
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi