Xantia 1.9TD Heavy clutch when hot

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nick
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD Heavy clutch when hot

Post by nick »

Hi,
The clutch pedal on my ’97 Xantia 1.9 TD has recently become quite heavy, but only when the engine is hot. With the engine cold its very smooth and light, but after a long run the pedal action gets noticeably heavier and pressing & releasing the pedal very slowly produces a horrible creaking sound from under the bonnet. When everything cools down it goes back to being silent and smooth again.
My first thought is the cable, could a worn cable produce these symptoms ?
The clutch itself was replaced just over a year ago and is still covered by a two year warranty, so if that is the cause the garage should fix it for nowt. The cable however is still the original (130000 miles) .
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Nick
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Nick -
It does in fact points to a cable problem then.
If you try the search button upper right you'll find loads of earlier submissons on the this issue.
The main problem is the odd bends & shape of the cable on RHD vehicles - as French cars are designed & build for LHD layout.
Try read a couple of these earlier submissions to get an idea if you want try your luck DIY - or your garage should be consulted.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Thanks Anders, I've had similar problems with a few BX's I've owned in the past and changing the cable improved them quite a bit.
I've lubricated the cable by spraying some WD40 down inside it which has helped, but I think the only long-term solution is a new cable.
Nick