Socket marked CD on Radio

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sandancer

Socket marked CD on Radio

Post by sandancer »

My Xantia's original radio cassette has a socket marked "CD" on the front. Any ideas if it has a use? Can't seem to find anything in the instructions. Query due to a present of an in-car cd player bracket assembly for Christmas.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Its just a line-in socket for you to plug a portable CD player into. You want a male headphone jack to male headphone jack lead, should be easy enough to find. It a slightly neater solution than using the tape adaptors you can buy.
sandancer

Post by sandancer »

That's the answer I wanted to hear! Just so happen to have one of those leads, so I can do away with the tape adaptor.
Many thanks.
Mark.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Just to make it confusing, it says CD on the jack, but AUX on the display when it's in use. It works well enough though - I've been using a CD walkman with mine for a couple of years now.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I have used this CD input with the kid's portable CD players for a few years. However I find that the best results are obtained by connecting it to the earphone socket of the CD player and turning up the player's volume quite high. The line out socket of both my children's CD players do not seem to give sufficient output and I have to turn the head unit volume very high which picks up noise from the alternator.
Richard
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Just dropped onto this thread and was interested some of you had found the same as me.
My SX Xantia has this CD socket and I got a lead to connect my Sony CD Car Discman to it rather than using the cassette adaptor. My Sony only has one output, the same for a line-out or headphones/earphones, and it is controlled by its volume knob. Even with the volume right up on the CD the input via the stereo CD-in socket is far too low level. If you change from CD to radio there is a huge jump in volume.
With the cassette adaptor the level is perfect and sound excellent.
Odd.
David
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

I'm contemplating buying a mp3 flash player to use generally but mainly in my ZX. Does anybody know of a radio with a cd-input that will fit the ZX. The Xantia one mentioned perhaps?
Thanks