C5 suspension pump-fuse and leak problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mike12345

C5 suspension pump-fuse and leak problems

Post by mike12345 »

HI everyone.

I'm hoping someone may be able to enlighten me about a C5 suspension fault or faults..

I took the car for its MOT and after the tester jacked the car on the ramp to test the rear suspension, the suspension deflated and would not reinflate. I discovered that the M8 main fuse was blown and on bridging this out the suspension reinflated. Fluid level was normal

Today I jacked up front offside and rear nearside to change the wheels over and replace the front anti-roll bar droplink. I forgot to set the suspension at its highest setting. Whilst I was changing the link, I noticed hydraulic fluid was dripping from the car. It seemed to be coming from the underside of the low-pressure hose that runs from the reservoir to the power-steering pump - although I couldn't find any leak or hole. I must have lost a couple of cupfulls of oil. The suspension has repressurised OK but the fluid level is now low.

Is there any connection between the two events (fuse and leak). Could the system have become overpressurised for example? Is there a relief valve? Where is the oil coming from?
And what is the correct oil to refill the reservoir?

Your help appreciated

Mike
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: C5 suspension pump-fuse and leak problems

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hi Mike...welcome

Please List : Car, Engine, Year ect, then they can help more accurately.....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
mike12345

Post by mike12345 »

Hi Stickyfinger et al,

The car is a november 2001 2.2 HDi hatchback

R. mike
Cptnemo14

Post by Cptnemo14 »

Hi I had a similar problem and was told that it was the pump that was faulty but since found out that the hydraulic pipe was earthing itself along by the fuel tank when it was deflated and that was the reason for shorting the fuse, i have since renewed the pipe as it also had a leak with rubbing etc ,but still have the problem of the fuse blowing when car is jacked up,I think that it takes too much out of the pump etc to re-inflate the suspension in so blowing the fuse because of a heavy surge etc , Oh also if I used the switch to raise or lower car the fuse would go , trying to get a new switch to try before I buy one , I also have to discharge the battery leads before I replace fuse or it will continue to blow them ( just by rubbing the two leads together discharges the leads ) I hope that this helps
andybsmith

Post by andybsmith »

Sounds like the pump motor may well be on its way out, easy enough to swap motors and keep your original pump assembly.
Its a French car, it has foibles, patience is a virtue
Xantia VSX 155 bhp
C5 2.2 Exclusive
Cptnemo14

Post by Cptnemo14 »

Cheers I think you could be right but have found out since that one of the pipes was rubbing against the body and it has worn the pipe away but since fixing it seems to be ok at the minute , but I have a pump and motor on standby , but thanks for replying