ZX - crankcase breathe system

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

ZX - crankcase breathe system

Post by sooty »

I thought of cleaning my crankcase breathe system during the break, from the oil filler to the inlet hose.
But what is the valve?? in the circuit at the right of the intercooler and what does it do ??
Sooty
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sure it's a valve ?
To your description it sounds more like that odd designed plastic Tee-piece known from the BX fume hoses. This is like a small ball - very suspecious to be taken as a valve - but simply has a couple of steel mesh plates inside. Guess it's for condensation of oil fumes - to make the condensated oil flow back.
Prone to foul by oil gunk & carbonised oil. I used to clean the interior of this "valve" - removing the steelmesh. It's much more important that you positively have an open flow for the fumes - and no risc of mayonnaise settling here - as the mayonnaise contains water, freezes in frosty weather - and possibly makes for overpressure in the oil sump - which then geyser's out the engine oil thru the dipstick on that single morning with deep frost.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I don't know what it is, just want to be sure of what it is before I start cleaning the system.
It must be boring if we have nothing better to do on Christmas Day playing on the computer, Merry Christmas to you Anders, got any snow? grey and damp here.
Sooty
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Grey & damp here too [:)]
- and yes boring [8D]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

Grey & damp here too [:)]
- and yes boring [8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Lucky buggers;
Over here, it's overcast, predicted 35 degrees C, (presently around 30 deg C @ 8.45 am) humidity around 85/90% not a breath of air, air conditioners almost getting a hernia, bloody snakes everywhere looking for somewhere to get out of the heat, predicted afternoon thunderstorms......so bloody hot that by the time you get the beer from the fridge to the glass & into the mouth it's almost room temp (not that I've tried today as yet) [:D][}:)].............but at this rate, it won't be long!![:p][B)][:0][:0]
Alan S
Have a nice Christmas & enjoy your cool weather; I'd gladly give you some of this stuff (hit 42 degrees not far from me yesterday...bugger that for a joke!!)