Xantia 3.0 V6 Auto

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kieran.l
My Cars:

Xantia 3.0 V6 Auto

Post by kieran.l »

Hello,

My father is contemplating buying an Xantia 3.0 V6 Auto and I wondered what sort of issues should be looked out for? Both Xantia-specific and specific to this model?

Fuel consumption doesn't really matter as would only be used for shows, rallies, summer driving and stuff.

Any rust issues like series 2 XMs?

Thanks,

Kieran
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
1993 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2006 C4 coupé 1.6 HDi
(and solver of problems relating to my uncles 1995 Xantia 1.9TD)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia 3.0 V6 Auto

Post by CitroJim »

Number one is the gearbox. The 4HP20 has a time-bomb that starts ticking at 130,000 -160,00 miles that will lead to a rebuild being required.. The can die as early as 130,00 and as late as 180,000. Depends on how they are used (lots of long motorway miles are best) and how often the ATF is changed..

This time-bomb cannot be defused except by stripping the 'box, replacing the internal oil filter and having the torque converter rebuilt. This, along with new seals, ATF, gaskets and a good clean will see the 'box good for another 100K or so...

The engine is bomb-proof.

The only rust concert is the normal S2 Xantia rear upper sill which can be inspected by opening a rear door and looking down at the double-sided area toward the rear. It's not fatal and can be repaired easily enough if caught early.. It's better rust-wise than the XM.

Otherwise just normal Xantia issues although the expansion tank has a habit of splitting and hydraulic pumps leaking..

They're good and reliable but if the car has done in ex cess of 130,000 with no gearbox history then adjust the deal accordingly. Also, adjust for needing a new cambelt at around 72K intervals. The job is easy by V6 standards but expensive. Belt kit alone is over £300. With labour on top it is expensive...

Water pump should be done too..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
kieran.l
My Cars:

Post by kieran.l »

Hi Jim, thanks for this, just the kind of info I was looking for. Will definitely check if there is gearbox history.
Cheers
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
1993 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2006 C4 coupé 1.6 HDi
(and solver of problems relating to my uncles 1995 Xantia 1.9TD)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Don't ever hesitate to ask any further questions Keiran, always happy to advise on my favourite car :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote:Number one is the gearbox. The 4HP20 has a time-bomb that starts ticking at 130,000 -160,00 miles that will lead to a rebuild being required.. The can die as early as 130,00 and as late as 180,000. Depends on how they are used (lots of long motorway miles are best) and how often the ATF is changed..
They can die a lot earlier than 130k miles... look at my Silver problem Child. Gearbox symptoms started at 100k, dead at 111k despite oil changes and lots of coddling! :(

They're a lovely car, but finding one with a good gearbox is going to be hard now that there's so few left and the mileages are high...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: They're a lovely car, but finding one with a good gearbox is going to be hard now that there's so few left and the mileages are high...
Indeed but a gearbox overhaul, if caught early, is well within the scope of a task that can be carried out at home without needing to involve the professionals...

It's not half as difficult as it might first appear...
Jim