AX 1.4D Timing belt failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

AX 1.4D Timing belt failure

Post by RichardW »

Belt has gone on my Sister's car apparently[:(] I don't suppose there's ANY chance the valves have survived....[?]
Anybody want a 93L 80k AX 1.4D 3dr with scrap engine[8D]??
OR Anybody got a spare good head for same[:D]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

If it was turning over slow enough its just possible. take off the rocker cover and see whats happened, on the larger XUD motors the Camshaft snaps in preference to bending valves (sometimes)remove remains of cam and followers, turn engine off TDC and take a block of wood and bounce each valve in turn. A bent one will stick partly open.
Seasonal luck
Stewart
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If the valves guides are parallel to the bores on those engines and it was only revving slowly at the time, there is a chance of survival.
Its been known on the 1.9 diesels according to some though not by me personaly, but if it broke at speed then its most likely kaput.
Dave
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Depending upon what has broken you may be able to get away with a fairly cheap fix. I know there isn't much room in there as some of my pistons are slightly valve marked due to (I think) running a notch out on the timing belt.
I wish your sister the best, please report your findings.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Guys, thanks for your thoughts. Car was taken to a garage as my parents have been renovating their house and have no room, and after a bit of tooing and froing it was decided to scrap it without further work. I suggested to my wife that I might 'whip the head off and have a look' whilst we were down there for a few days after Christmas, but was met with a stare so frosty it would have frozen the Caribbean over I decided not to pursue it! Sister is now on the look out for a ZX, so if anybody is selling a decent one in the Aldershot area.....