Citroen C5 MK1 - Manual Aircon to Climate Conversion

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

royrobinson
New User

Citroen C5 MK1 - Manual Aircon to Climate Conversion

Post by royrobinson »

Hi Guys

I am pretty new to the forum but have a question I hope somebody can shed some light on. I have a 54 plate 2.0 HDi VTR Hatch with climate which I will be retiring soon and have just picked up an 04 plate 2.0 HDi VTR Estate with only 40k miles with manual aircon (dials), can I swap the units, ie, the climate unit from the hatch and install in the estate replacing the dial unit? If so would I need to change settings in the ECU using my Lexi Tool?

I hope to hear some good news, thanks again.

Roy
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Citroen C5 MK1 - Manual Aircon to Climate Conversion

Post by wheeler »

Not sure if it would be as simple as that, all the mixer & direction flaps on the CC models are electrically controlled via small stepper motors, I think on the manual A/C models some of them are cable operated if I remember right. Also the heater motor speeds are controlled differently with the CC models being transistor controlled. I would think it would be a complete heater box & harness swap over.
hamster99

Re: Citroen C5 MK1 - Manual Aircon to Climate Conversion

Post by hamster99 »

Wheeler's right, the CC aircon system is completely controlled electronically, from the air distribution to temperature and humidity. Everything is controlled by stepper motors with no manual cables or levers. Not sure where the ECU would be or if it would need one of those to be installed or removed from the donor vehicle. Also, with CC the aircon compressor runs continually as all air passes over the evaporator first to cool it and reduce its humidity before it is then heated and fed into the cabin. I think the manual systems have aircon compressors which are switched on and off by a switch when you want cold air.

You would need to change the complete heater box which means stripping out the dashboard. Not an impossible task but nevertheless a bit involved and needing a full day or two. I suspect the wiring would be fine as I beleive the C5's of that period would have had wiring harnesses to accommodate most variants and options. You will also need the control panel below the radio unit.

You may find a response from someone who's already done this but if not there may be pitfalls along the way which I am not aware of. You could start by partially stripping your old car to see what's there and then seeing if it is worth doing.

Rob.
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015