Peueot 407 Gearbox Faulty AL4 problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Peueot 407 Gearbox Faulty AL4 problems

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

Hello all. Well i have a Peugeot 407 2005 model with Automatic-Tiptronic transmission and recently I've been having some issues with it. It's quite complicated so I would list out all the stuff it's been doing and what I have already done to it.

Since I got i've had an ABS/ESP system faulty. It never bothered the driving of the car so I didnt fix it until last year when apparently another ABS sensor failed and I got all sorts of error messages e.g. Braking system faulty- Engine light came on. A scan with a high end but not Peugeot Planet 2000 revealed two rear sensors faulty. Got them changed, cleared the code and all the funny messages went away except the ABS/ESP system faulty.

Shortly after this the car began developing a jerking motion when driving and then followed by a PRND GEARBOX FAULTY: repair needed message. Now this problem has several facets to it below:

1. The car starts fine and drives fine until the engine temperature reaches what I assume is normal operating temperature (two lines after the 90 mark on the engine gauge cluster) Even when the car was working well, it never exceeded this mark. Now when it reaches this mark, most of the times I get the PRND GEARBOX FAULTY: repair needed message.

2. Once PRND gearbox fault pops up, the car in reverse gear develops a loud squealing from the back. On DRIVE the engine sounds heavy and there is a massive loss of power. In fact in this state the car is unable to drive but rather chugs along very slowly, jerkily and sometimes I hear a loud knock in changing gear from drive to park.

3. In this state, the car cannot drive up a slope or hill, complete loss of forward driving motion. Accelerator pedal is pressed down to the floor and nothing. Tail pipe got scorched too, turned red.

4. The Tiptronic system (automatic transmission) doesn't work. When I first start the car, if i move it directly over to the Tiptronic side, on the cluster box there it reads, M2 and then automatically changes to M3, sometimes M4 and then disappears and reverts to D as if i'm back on the automatic side. All without me touching the shifter other than first putting it into the tiptronic mode. It used to work before all this issues began, but now it doesnt.

I changed a crank/engine speed sensor recently as a diagnostic reading said : "Vehicle Speed transmitted by the ABS- permanent fault" But it wasn't Peugeot Planet 2000. And this still didn't fix the problem.

If anyone here got any ideas or leads that can set me in the right direction, I'd be most appreciative. Thank you all.

kind regards

Peugeot_russ
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Peueot 407 Gearbox Faulty AL4 problems

Post by RichardW »

Welcome Russ !

You really need to get the car onto a Diagbox diagnostic to see what is going wrong. I have a suspicion this is nothing to do with the gearbox, and may be a fault in the underbonnet fuse box preventing the various ECUs talking to each other properly. Whereabouts are you - I suspect not UK?
Richard W
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

Hello, I wish I was in the UK, i would have gotten this fixed weeks ago. Sadly Im located in Trinidad, the caribbean. There's only one Peugeot diagnostic garage located 100 miles from here and the state the car is in, i'd need to have it towed which is costly. I was thinking of getting me own Peugeot Planet 2000 from ebay, but there are so many with different versions.
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

There are now countless suppliers, including Ebay, Amazon, Aliexpress, door2doorshop. However, the quality of the software varies.

You should be buying a Revision C Lexia / Lexia3 cable, and the standard Planet software versions we work to are V22.14, with a patch updating it to V24.29.

For the Diagbox software you should expect V7.02 patched (otherwise you'll have registration and activation problems) with updates to V7.63 (as of 02/15).

I know of two UK distributors who contribute to various PSA forums. Their prices are dearer, but their after-sales support is excellent and software reliable - JJ Diagnostics & Easy Diagnostics. You'll probably find their companies via Google.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

Thanks for the info on the Peugeot Planet 2000. the reason i never bought one is because there's too many versions and some don't even work with windows vista, some you have to enter some password or code and some just isn't like the dealership one. I'll look into that company and see if they have one that can work with a 2009 HP laptop with windows vista. Some shops sell the full thing including a laptop. I was considering those, but its pretty expensive, about 300 pounds and up.
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Russ,

Welcome, I don't know if you're aware or not but there's an active 407 owners club at http://www.407owners.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

Took a look at Easy Diagnostics Lexia 3. It looks pretty complete. http://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk/#/shop ... interface-(full-board-rev-c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)/8000814
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

Trainman- thanks for the reply. Even though im sure thats a great forum, this one here looks just as good and helpful :D You got a Citroen C6 as indicated by your display pic? those are very nice cars. They have a unique class and style.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Diagbox / lexia runs OK on Vista 32 bit.
Richard W
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

I forgot to mention that the brakes get real hard to press when the PRND gearbox fault appears and the locking mechanism when the shifter gear is in Park doesn't engage. I can basically move the gear from Park to another any gear without pressing the brake pedal. Thats not quite right if you ask me.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Until you get a reading on diagnostics going , I would be checking fuses as per Richards suggestion. Some cars also have main auto box fuse too.
Then there are the multi plug connections around gearbox. There is a lot of tracking in them for ECU function and solenoid ops. They have a habit of shaking loose and getting ingress etc. Might as well check battery charge and transmission oil levels while you go around it.
There is a good AL4 rebuild manual online which gives reading on how it works. Might give pointers on software side, I don't know.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

So i was staring at this diagram of the Lexia 3 kit after looking at as much videos i could find online. What goes where? to me the green connector goes into the car, but at the end of that is a circular pin which supposedly needs to be attached to the interface itself, trouble with that is, i cant see how those two circular ports can plug into each other.
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

dont know how to post a picture up or else i would show what im talking about.
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

this is a video i found. As far as i can see, the cable with the green port cannot fit in the end of the interface. i may be wrong though as i saw a pic of one connected. i just cant understand how. both circular connectors have holes in them.

cool music though in the video though 8-)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It does fit - one end has a sliding plastic plate inside to protect the pins.
Richard W