C5 front suspension dropping quickly

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

C5 front suspension dropping quickly

Post by Johnno »

Hi there. My C5 estate has quite a number of 'issues' and is one step from the scrapyard, but I want to give it one last go. The latest thing is that the front drops right down not long after switching off. I've searched this and other fora and the general consensus appears to be that it is either a leaking strut or an electro-valve issue. There don't appear to be any major leaks and there is no fluid on the ground. However, the reservoir did take two litres (!!) of LDS, after which I did Citaerobics. The back is ok and the car will rise and fall on the switch and when a door is opened, so the pump is ok. Following the advice on another forum, I've set the car to high and will see if the problem persists.

Another symptom that may be associated is that on a couple of occasions I've found the front suspension 'hunts' up and down, particularly when the wheels are at an angle. Could this be related? If it is the valve, where is this situated? It may also be worth noting that the Sport mode stopped working some time ago, both on manual switch and automatic control. Probably unrelated, as it's been that way for a while.

Where to start? I've already spent far more than the car is really worth on a persistent, though irregular, misfire and hunting (plus twice cutting out on the motorway!), but that's another matter.

Any ideas?

Cheers, John.
John
'59 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ saloon, Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
RIP - '07 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ Estate
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 front suspension dropping quickly

Post by Peter.N. »

My first response would be if it drives OK don't worry about it. I have run XMs for over 15 years and the suspension behaved differently on all of them, some slow to rise, some OK one end but not the other, some sink immediately, some stay up indefinitly, but I must admit I haven't had a problem with my C5s.

It is most likely to be either the height regulator or the strut leaking internally. If the struts have leak off pipes like the XM you can disconnect one end and see if there is much fluid coming out when you turn it off, check both sides, that will tell you which side the problem is - if that is the problem. You should be able to get a height regulator valve secondhand for very little money.

Your engine problems could well be down to the HP diesel pump pressure regulator - all mine have been.

Peter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-2L-HD ... 339bf51ba6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Johnno wrote:
Another symptom that may be associated is that on a couple of occasions I've found the front suspension 'hunts' up and down, particularly when the wheels are at an angle. .
This is quite common on C5s when the steering is off-centred and the car stationary. I haven't experienced it more than once, while waiting at traffic lights but many have mentioned it.

Mine will sometime drop an inch at traffic lights, usually after teararsing up the steep and windy road from work through three roundabouts and a couple of junctions on steep inclines. Rarely happens elsewhere but will there every couple or three weeks.
I just ignore it and hope it will go away. Car does exceedingly well otherwise, considering the amount of neglect heaped upon it.
Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Post by Johnno »

Pete / Steve, thanks for the replies. Well, I left the car on high for over an hour - no drop. Did the same with it on intermediate, with the same result. I've now left it on normal for several hours and it seems fine. Go figure. I did notice that is seems a little high at the front (nearly five fingers worth), but other than that, appears ok. When it was parked on the road the offside seemed a little higher than the nearside, but I doubt that's significant.

I'll just leave it for now and see what happens.

Pete, with regard to the HP regulator, is there any test one can do to check it? I assume it's attached to or near the pump?

Ta,

John.
John
'59 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ saloon, Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
RIP - '07 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ Estate
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its on the back end of the pump John but fairly easy to remove,you will have to take off the fuel filter first but that only takes a couple of minutes, the regulator is held on with two screws, either philips or torx and a plug, you will probably need a 1/4 ratchet with the appropriate bit as room is a bit tight.

The usual problem is that the filter gets blocked but its stainless steel with very small holes and I haven't found it possible to clean it, as one of the spares I have doesn't have a filter I though I would try removing it which I have and its worked a treat ever since. I first used to 'hunt' when I started it, then became difficult to start then wouldn't start al all when hot. You could grind the end off the filter if you are careful to get all the swarf out. I will attach a better picture so you can see what it looks like.

Peter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUEL-PRESSURE ... 2335863993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hunting up/down

Was there not a Citroen BSI update to cure/reduce that problem ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting