Plug in towbar electrics 2006 C3 in particular

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Plug in towbar electrics 2006 C3 in particular

Post by charentejohn »

Anyone have any experience of these, I believe they are 'plug in' systems rather than connecting to the existing light cables using connectors.
I am looking to buy myself a 2006 C3 stop/stsrt and it seems there may be two versions, one up to 2005 then 2005 onwards ? No idea why they would be different.
I am not fitting anything tricky just a basic setup for a trailer, not running caravan electrics etc.

I have seen some comments on effects on diagnostics if towbar electrics are used, I would assume normally not a problem generally as there is a socket for them (can't seem to find it on my wife's 2005C3 though) so meant to be there.
Anyone fitted electrics using the socket, towbar seems no problem as modern ones always have the chassis ready to take them. Not like the good old days of boot floor drilling.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Plug in towbar electrics 2006 C3 in particular

Post by citronut »

i think the earlier one is not full multiplex and the later one is full multiplex,

i came across this with a friends 05 307, it was on the change over year, turned out it is the earlier partial multiplex,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Yes the earlier models are VAN/CAN multiplexed & the later ones are Full CAN. You can tell the difference with the slightly facelifted models being full CAN. Also the full CAN models don't have an accessories position on the ignition switch, just ignition then start.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks, that explains the difference in the advertisements. Some said multiplex version but I didn't know what that meant.
I guess the wrong connector would still fit but could confuse things depending on what diagnostics were being done.

When I do the test drive tomorrow I will check the ignition switch as a simple way of telling which is which. Always a pain when cars are just on the point of a change, I saw a 2004 advertised here and the dash was like the 2005 with the centre display showing mpg etc but the steering whell was like a 2003 model. Just using them up I guess.
The worst ones are brakes when they do this, I once had a car with old front and new rear as the model changed.

Sub question, now that I have read up on multiplexed fittings is....
One site says the plug in version will probably require a main dealer reset, not a great problem, but the 'clip to existing wires in the lights' one doesen't.
Plug in is easier but would the clip to wires type cause other problems ?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have heard if you patch tow bar electrics into a full CAN multiplex car it can upset all kinds of electricary ,

so i dont think you can just use either plug and play harness,

i just did a goooogly search on
"how do i tell if my 2006 C3 has VAN/CAN or full CAN multiplex"

one result that came up was

http://tinyurl.com/mo9wybj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i havent looked into it much but it looks useful
Regards, malcolm.

charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks, looks like good info on that link for anyone with a lexia. Just looked at C3 bit and seems to give range of what is possible for each component, handy to know what a diagnostic should show/allow.
Nice to see the one set covers cars from 2002-2006 so will be none the wiser until I try the ignition key test as the change seems in 2006. Car I am looking at was registered 24/04/2006 but probably built slightly earler.

One thing I will do after reading this is speak to the harness supplier to make sure it is correct, hopefully by vin no when I know it.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

also the full CAN versions have a rectangular flick out remote key, the VAN/CAN versions have a fixed key blade remote that's not rectangular.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you get/post the last 8 digits of the chassis/VIN No. once you have it, i can send you the cars birth certificate that gives you
warranty start date, rp No. engine/box type/codes, paint and trim colours/types/codes, and much more all the car left the factory wearing
Regards, malcolm.

charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks Malcolm, will do. Just bought the car today but don't get it until late next week.
Most impressed by the garage as despite it being a 'trade in to clear' type of car £3500 they are doing all the registration etc which will take at least a week. Most surprised as this wasn't one or their main cars, mostly £8k upwards and under 5 years. Hope the car lives up to it.

One strange thing is it is a 1.6l stop start sensodrive, can't find the listings anywhere here so any info you find should be interesting.
Prices here are based on this http://www.lacentrale.fr/cote-voitures- ... 2006-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; very useful, price is 'street price' based on about 9k miles/yr average.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks to Malcolm for sending me the 'birth certs' for both cars we have. Seems after all that this is a standard stop start with a 1.4 engine so all is well, better than an unusual 1.6 as now all parts are in common with my wife's 2005 C3. Just handy for the future as if significant parts need replacing, like starter alternator or senso actuators, I can have the old one reconditioned should the other car need parts.

Interesting to read some of the info on the cars, like surface conditions it needs being 'good terrain' so I had better fill in some local potholes then :)
Seems I have the 'manual' key and not the remote locking one, I knew that when I bought it I just thought it didn't do remote locking. I assume the remote died and wasn't worth replacing, I may do this.
Also some equipment I didn't know it had, like a shelf under the seat etc. Well worth knowing as it also gives trim codes should they be needed, thanks again.