Engine Temp Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITMAN
My Cars:

Engine Temp Problem

Post by CITMAN »

Today on the dual carriageway I noticed that my temp rose to just before the last white graduate on the temp gauge, think this is 110C correct me if im wrong which is a bit high for my liking. The temp gauge was doing some strange things. If the road bends slightly to the right it goes up further and to the left it goes down. If i go up hill it goes up and go down a hill it drops to normal.
at the time i was doing between 70 and 80 mph with approx 4000rpm showing on the rev counter when the temp was at the position described above. When a slowed to 50mph the temp dropped to the graduate just after 90c.
I stopped in a tesco car park and left the engine running. the top hose was not firm i.e. not much pressure build up. the engine was fairly cool and temp gauage was now reading 90c and it took about 4 mins for the cooling fan to kick in with heater set on cold. with heater set on hot it refused to kick in and stayed at the 90c mark. I think the temp gauge is dodge.
Has anyone else experienced this on citroen zx 1.4i or any other citroen come to that.
PS the temp gauge has been doing this for ages, but has never got as high as it did today, usually only rises to the first graduate after 90c
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Yes the guage on my ZX TD on the flat comes up about a third of the way but around bends it's all over the place but then settle's down again when on the flat. It'd been like that since I've had it. All is Ok with the cooling etc so I just leave it alone.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

yeah thought it would be dodge french electrics. cheers mate