Plastic weld epoxy

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Plastic weld epoxy

Post by Jaf »

Hi guys. Anyone used plastic weld epoxy? It's for a pin hole leak from the diesel tank breather pipe. The pipe is not available. Taped it up a few months ago with sos tape but it's leaking again.

Thanks.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
handyman
My Cars:

Re: Plastic weld epoxy

Post by handyman »

I've got a diesel Mk1 Xantia going off for scrap. I could strip off this part from the car for you. PM me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if Richards bits dont fix it cant you cut out the damaged section and join a piece in wit rubber fuel hose????,
when joining plastic pipes with rubber and pipe clamps, to prevent the plastic pipe being crushed on tightening the clamps, insert short lengths of copper/metal inside the end of the plastic pipe
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Probably not very HSE suggestion, but I have succesfully sealed small holes and cracks with a soldering iron used lightly like a mig welder. It melts the plastic around and seals it. There is a knack to it without being too heavy handed. I recently has a disastrous leak on my home oil heating (the Tiger Loop deaereator) which had cracked a sprayed over 100 litres of expensive oil everywhere. I used a small gas soldering iron to seal the crack and it worked. Obviously I didn't use it when the oil was spraying around.

If you can bag a replacement pipe that would be best in the long run.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Malc, can say, hand on heart, I've never, ever used my 'bits' on any repairs, plastic or otherwise! :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

When welding plastics, its useful to have a spare piece of the same grade to act as a filler. This will allow any repair not to be compromised by a lack of material. 8-)

Handyman
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

ecohouse1 wrote:Probably not very HSE suggestion, but I have succesfully sealed small holes and cracks with a soldering iron used lightly like a mig welder. It melts the plastic around and seals it. There is a knack to it without being too heavy handed. I recently has a disastrous leak on my home oil heating (the Tiger Loop deaereator) which had cracked a sprayed over 100 litres of expensive oil everywhere. I used a small gas soldering iron to seal the crack and it worked. Obviously I didn't use it when the oil was spraying around.

If you can bag a replacement pipe that would be best in the long run.
An Inner-tube repair patch and some shrink tape to hold it in place
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Handyman, have pm'd you.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's actually the second one to go, I had one off the old tank.

I really don't want to cut it as I'm not sure the corrigated stuff will ever seal. I've had the same problem with pool water pipes. If handyman doesn't have one I will try the repair patch first, didn't think of that. I have some experience of welding and soldering so that's a great idea too.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.