Xantia revs hover before dropping?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Taipan -
It's definately not "common" to Xantia's [:)]
You have a problem with either the stepper motor - or the throttle ("trouble") potientiometer.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Prices in GBP + vat + p&p from GSF :
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/
N18713 STEPPER MOTOR XANTIA 4 PIN 69.50
N18718 THROTTLE POTENTIOMETER XANTIA INJ PETROL MODELS 29.00
This should only be taken as a price leaders - your garage may charge (very) different prices for these parts.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

True Taipan -
This Q&A forum is in fact an on-going commercial - having it's own life [8D]
- but the most polite, honest & truly helpfull commercial I've ever seen [;)]
It is in fact a world sensation - where else do you get such advice - before purchasing parts [?]
Jon (forum admin & GSF employed) surely made a scoop when he started this forum first off [:D][:D]
- can't think of a better dealer's customer's service [8)]
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I've been reading the archives and see I'm not alone with this problem. In one thread LHM LEAK says he cleaned the stepper motor. Can you elaborate on this at all?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Unless it's just the spindle that's gummed up ( it comes out easily enough, as I recall ) then it's a job best avoided unless you're a chronic skinflint like me. It involves prising apart bits of metal and plasic that don't want to be parted, then collecting, cleaning, lubricating and reassembling all the bits that fly out when it finally <i>does</i> yield. And then you've got to put it all back together again in such a manner that it stands a slim chance of working.
Nah. My advice is, quite simply, unless it's just a sticky spindle that some WD-40 will cure, buy a new one.
Stu.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> It involves prising apart bits of metal and plasic that don't want to be parted, then collecting, cleaning, lubricating and reassembling all the bits that fly out when it finally <i>does</i> yield. And then you've got to put it all back together again in such a manner that it stands a slim chance of working.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Handy tip - dismantle it inside of a plastic bag. That'll catch all of the sprung loaded bits before they get a chance to fly off into orbit.
Works a treat on stuff like my bike handlebar switches.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Well Taipan -
This is the devil of modern car DIY - as you need to read out any fault codes from the ECU - just to get a clue on what may the problem and what may just be a symptom.
Usually a faulty (worn) throttle potientiometer causes the engine revs to "ghost" around - a strange experience with the engine having it's own life - your foot OFF the throttle pedal.
As you don't seem to have this problem - my first guess would then be the stepper motor.
You should be aware however that if the engine seems to have stable but high idle rev's when warm - it may be the engine temp sensor at fault. But this would also make the fault lamp come on as the engine is then running too fat with constant choke - and this problem is usually detected by the lambda sonde.
Giving advice over Cyberspace to problems with modern engines is kind of fumbling around in the dark - unless very clear & wellknown synptoms are given.