stupid xantia suspension question....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlexSally

stupid xantia suspension question....

Post by AlexSally »

coming home the other night, hit a pot hole in my 98 citroen xantia . the rear suspension slumped so i took it to the local garage. I said to them "make sure its not the clip thing first but if needed change the spheres."
I wish I hadn't. I collected it and it was worse than ever. The hydro fluid had been filled to the top! and when i looked underneath the dog bone clip was off but they had at least changed the spheres but now....
The rear is waay too high. It all goes up and down ok but the middle height leaves the car rear with about a foot between the tyre and the arch.. There is very little give in it either. ? What might they have done ? any ideas. I suspect one of you experts will tell me something daft to check. BTW I haven'tr checked the front dog bone because I don't know where it is.
Any advice much appreciated, thanks
Alex
Heads up , don't bother using charlies autos in leominster :)
currently im in llangurig so may find someone local..
AlexSally

Re: stupid xantia suspension question....

Post by AlexSally »

a thorough google throws up height corrector seized? sound about right?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

charlies autos
clue in the name maybe ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
AlexSally

Post by AlexSally »

you're not wrong :) ... any ideas though?
AlexSally

Post by AlexSally »

superloopy wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:
charlies autos
clue in the name maybe ?
:rofl2: rear dogbone, if its off as you say, would be my first port of call, unsurprisingly :roll:
no, i fixed that..
it was off when I picked it up from garage but i put it back on, its still in place but the back is still really high. I've put the suspension up and down a few times to loosen stuff but its still too high.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Maybe with the impact of hitting the pothole, the clamp on the anti-roll bar has rotated slightly, at the same time throwing off the dog bone
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
AlexSally

Post by AlexSally »

Thank you Martin, that's a good thought... ta
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Xantidote wrote:Maybe with the impact of hitting the pothole, the clamp on the anti-roll bar has rotated slightly, at the same time throwing off the dog bone
more likely that proper Charlie you took it to has adjusted ride height clamp on the anti roll bar :roll: #-o [-X ,

PLEASE DO NOT GO UNDER THIS CAR UNLESS IT IS FULLY SUPORTED, ENOUGH SO IF IT DECIDES TO DROP YOU STILL HAVE ENOUGH ROOM FOR YOU TO BE UNDER WITHOUT GETTING SQUISHED/DEADED/KILLED !!!!!

flat spheres will not alter the ride height ( not noticeably anyhow ), the doggy bone popping off is usually caused by the height corrector linkage's/turrets becoming seized, the only long term fix is remove the height corrector cradle ( you can leave the corrector in place ), then lub N work lub N work lub N work lub N work, till the turrets are floppy loose, now reassemble
Last edited by citronut on 25 Jan 2015, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Gresleyite

Post by Gresleyite »

AlexSally wrote:coming home the other night, hit a pot hole in my 98 citroen xantia . the rear suspension slumped so i took it to the local garage. I said to them "make sure its not the clip thing first but if needed change the spheres."
I wish I hadn't. I collected it and it was worse than ever. The hydro fluid had been filled to the top! and when i looked underneath the dog bone clip was off but they had at least changed the spheres but now....
The rear is waay too high. It all goes up and down ok but the middle height leaves the car rear with about a foot between the tyre and the arch.. There is very little give in it either. ? What might they have done ? any ideas. I suspect one of you experts will tell me something daft to check. BTW I haven'tr checked the front dog bone because I don't know where it is.
Any advice much appreciated, thanks
Alex
Heads up , don't bother using charlies autos in leominster :)
currently im in llangurig so may find someone local..
First off I would try and get the fluid level correct (Engine running, suspension on high as I expect you know)by sucking some out with a turkey baster or something similar.
Put the rear on ramps with the suspension on high, slacken the anti roll bar to height corrector clamp then put the lever to minimum height, let the car sink down and undo the bleed screw and return the cabin lever to the normal position. Under the back again lift the car to the correct ride height (1 finger above the tyre, 3 at front) with a jack, a hydraulic jack would be very handy, wiggle the lever/plastic link with a screwdriver to settle it and tighten the anti roll bar clamp, try not to shear the bolt!
Start the engine and close the bleedscrew, put the suspension on high and remove the jack, put the lever in normal and check the ride height is correct. If ok back to max height and run off the ramps.
Repeat at front if needed otherwise job done.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

While I do agree with these instructions I do have a MAJOR safety tip. When the car is up on the ramps, and before going underneath her, bottom her out to suspension low, and then check you can work under her safely. All being well, when she is bottomed out she is on the bump stops, and cannot go down any further.

The reason for this tip is simple. I do not know what your physical build is. A space that CitroJim (with his slight frame) would find comfortable to work in would be too cramped for me. Therefore, a space under a car might be wide enough for him to be safe, but could cause me injuries. When I had to adjust Gracies front suspension she dropped far enough for the sump to touch my chest; a couple of inches further could have caused serious injuries.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:While I do agree with these instructions I do have a MAJOR safety tip. When the car is up on the ramps, and before going underneath her, bottom her out to suspension low, and then check you can work under her safely. All being well, when she is bottomed out she is on the bump stops, and cannot go down any further.

The reason for this tip is simple. I do not know what your physical build is. A space that CitroJim (with his slight frame) would find comfortable to work in would be too cramped for me. Therefore, a space under a car might be wide enough for him to be safe, but could cause me injuries. When I had to adjust Gracies front suspension she dropped far enough for the sump to touch my chest; a couple of inches further could have caused serious injuries.
citronut wrote:
PLEASE DO NOT GO UNDER THIS CAR UNLESS IT IS FULLY SUPORTED, ENOUGH SO IF IT DECIDES TO DROP YOU STILL HAVE ENOUGH ROOM FOR YOU TO BE UNDER WITHOUT GETTING SQUISHED/DEADED/KILLED !!!!!
already warned James
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I noticed afterwards.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gresleyite

Post by Gresleyite »

citronut wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:While I do agree with these instructions I do have a MAJOR safety tip. When the car is up on the ramps, and before going underneath her, bottom her out to suspension low, and then check you can work under her safely. All being well, when she is bottomed out she is on the bump stops, and cannot go down any further.

citronut wrote:
already warned James
While I would thoroughly endorse and re-iterate all the comments re safe working I did say drop the car to the bottom before getting underneath, but if there is any doubt place a pair of axle stands under a solid part of the car so it can drop below ride height but above minimum, this will also give you a little more room to work, I am of average build and had no problems, but I suppose it depends on the height of your ramps.