Xantia Fast ticking and suspension sink

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

broders
My Cars:

Xantia Fast ticking and suspension sink

Post by broders »

Xantia 1.8 petrol 1995 model
Lately when starting the car I have noticed a lot of very quick ticking lasting approx a minute +/-
Car still seemed to drive ok till today. I normally drive the car on the 2cnd position (1st position being the lowest) today I thought i would try the 3rd position and the car bounced all over the road,
When I got to where I was going it seemed to be a good idea to do the aerobics and going from low to high the car happily moved up and down,
Until in the highest postion the front end dropped then rose then dropped then rose.Driving home in the 2cnd postion the front end rose and the back end sank and stayed low. Don't know if its connected but as turning the steering wheel it seems to hiss at me.
Home now obviously but any got any ideas thanks in advance
Broders
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It would be perfectly normal that the hydraulics are ticking on start - as the system charges - but the system should settle down rather fast within approx 15 sec's.
Please remember that hydraulic Citroens are NEVER supposed to be driven at normal road speeds in ANY other settings than the normal height. The other settings are only there as a help in extreme cases - and then only at VERY reduced (crawling) speeds.
As you tried it out - you now know why [:I]
I suspect the accumulator sphere may be flat -
You may try this fault tracing :
http://citroenz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Well...
Pump 6+2 has quite low capacity (about 0.9 ccm per engine revolution for petrol engines), so fast ticking is not normal even after starting the car, if the height lever is in normal position. Pump needs only to pressurise the accumulator(s) and top up suspension cylinders, if the car sinked cm or two overnight.

Raised position my be used for driving with slow speeds over rough ground. On C5 it's limited by suspension computer to 40 km/h. But - ride height in this possition must be correctly set - 4 cm above the normal height. If the car is too high, suspension is pressuried to maximum pressure, and suspension is rock hard. It's not advisable to drive in this state more than a few meters (with great care).