406 hdi seal around steering column

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bheath

406 hdi seal around steering column

Post by bheath »

Hi all, newbie here.

SWMBO's 2000 406 HDI had a seized universal joint on the steering column, just above the rack. I have soaked it in oil from underneath, but now I am trying to remove the big rubber seal where the steering shaft goes through the firewall to do a better job. Try as I might, I can only lift a small part of the seal away from the firewall. This should be simple, but I have no idea if something is holding it and I don't want to damage anything.

Can anyone please give me some hints on how the seal is fixed? Or the best way to move it out of the way?

Many thanks, Bill
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 406 hdi seal around steering column

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Bill and welcome :-D

If it's anything like the very similar Citroen Xantia (same floorpan) then it will lift out but it's incredibly tight...

You won't remove it with the steering column in place though, that will have to be completely removed first...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bheath

Post by bheath »

Thanks Jim,

I don't want to remove it completely, just slide it up the shaft a bit so that I can work on the UJ from above. As long as nothing it holding it down I can try with a lever in the morning. Being unsure, I didn't want to use brute force. I cannot free it by hand!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It'll definitely need a lever Bill...

An old-school tyre lever intended for tube-type car tyres may be just the job, else a pry-bar with smooth edges...

Getting it back will be fun too.. Try a bit of lubrication on it... Vaseline or proper rubber lubricant as used by tyre places...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

That gator has studs,is located in the bulk head with nuts,then the column goes through it. Its a very simple job to remove the lower column uj/shaft,a pinch bolt each end. Memory shaky on this one but I think you may have to drop the interior column as well? what ever its not a massive job.
Any way if the UJ is well seized it will be difficult to free it up and could need replacing?
bheath

Post by bheath »

I can see the studs from the underside, but the rubber is completely covering the heads inside. Sorry no progress/update so far but work/snow and a borked crank pulley are distracting me from the task. Gives me more time to think up new and novel strings of expletives to assist with the removal!
bheath

Post by bheath »

I didn't need to move the rubber seal in the end. With the wheelarch liner off (to change the crank pulley) I found that I could reach in over the driveshaft. My earlier, very messy oiling from below had solved the stiffness problem, but I wanted to do a thorough job. I flooded the UJ with oil in each of four positions - one bearing cup facing upwards each time - leaving for ten mins each to let the oil soak in. I then packed the whole joint with HMP grease in the hope of keeping the weather out.

Fingers crossed! Bill
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent =D> A nice result Bill :-D
Jim

bheath

Post by bheath »

The front section of the O/S wheelarch liner is no big deal to remove/replace and gives ready access to the awkward to reach UJ and clamp bolt. This might be useful information for anyone removing the rack or column.