Car Battery

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Car Battery

Post by xantiagreen »

Appears I have dancing gauges, I've been told the cause is either a faulty starter possibly solenoid or the battery is weak. I only use the xantia for very short trips under 3 miles so obviously the car isn't charging the battery enough for the next morning especially this morning when it was showing -5. What's the correct battery for a hdi 110 xantia, every online search brings up different sizes and AH and CCA, cannot find the current batteries rating anywhere it is a Banner starting Bull it looks a decent fit on the battery tray so assuming it's the correct type.

So is there a min/max Ah/CCA for the hdi xantias, I'm going to start taking her on the motorway every week for 15-20 minutes so I don't knacker the new battery I'm getting ( I think from what I can remember the battery was fitted 5 years ago, will check)

Thanks
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Car Battery

Post by Xantidote »

5 years isn't a bad life for a battery, although I expect 6 years if the battery is well up to the job in the first place. Batteries last longer than they used to, since they discovered a way to reduce some element in the battery (antimony?).

I think the correct battery for my TD is the 096 (same as referred to in Mandrake's post), and I'd expect that would suit your vehicle, particularly with the extra power demands of newer vehicles. Having said that, my TD's original battery was an 075 (size wise), maybe Citroen being tight *rse. Subsequently I've always used 075 type, which, not being quite so long as the 096, is easier to get in & out of the engine bay.

If you put the car reg no. into eurocarparts, carparts4less, or Halfords website, you should get an idea of size recommended. Bear in mind how long you expect to keep the car - no point going over the top if you're going to sell it later in the year
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

First thing is to check the battery leads and connections: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=38273" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; my guess is you will find the +ve too hot to touch just after you've started it.

If you do decide to get a new battery then go for as many CCA as you can get / afford. I've got a Starting bull in our C4 - it's rated at 750 CCA. Did a bit of research and they seem to be a good make.
Richard W
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

it's an 096 recommended for the C5 2 litre HDI so I'd guess the Xantia would be the same... looking online though you see them advertised in different places all showing slightly differing CCA and AH which does get a bit confusing as I thought they'd all be the same...
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)