Hi Everyone, Xsara Picasso Vtx Hdi MOT failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

remonvtx
New User

Hi Everyone, Xsara Picasso Vtx Hdi MOT failure

Post by remonvtx »

Hello everyone,

I am new here seeking some help about my new Citroen.

This my second year driving i had X Reg skoda fabia 1.4 for my first year because of the insurance was a sky high but after one year no claim i was looking online for something more economy as my old car used to do Max 29 mpg so i found 57 plate XSARA PICASSO VTX 1.6 HDI (92) and to be honest it was cheap enough due to a dint in one of the doors so it needed replacement so i bought it and i thought finally i have a car that not so old, cut the story short i bought the car with short MOT i knew it will need bits sorted so i put 2 new tyres on the front and changed oil, oil filter and air filter. the car has major oil leak so i thought it could be the rocker cover gasket seal as the oil coming from high up so i changed that with a help of one of my mates hoping that will stop the leak but then from reading about the car i found that i have the common issue with the injector seal so i checked and the injector number 3 has a leak and making noises.so i thought this will need sorted but i will just wait for a couple of weeks then i will do it.

I put the car for MOT at kwikfit a couple of days a go hoping it will pass but unfortunately the guy came back saying sorry it fail due to a blue smoke coming from the exhaust while revving it, he said it could be many reason causing that and advice me try to take it for a long run before bringing it back for retest.

I am not an expert in cars but that is my view and i am not sure if it is right or not, i think the blue smoke indicate that the car is burning Oil which it could be caused by the injector seal failing or the other thing it could be that when i checked the oil level from cold on a straight surface i found that i overfilled the car last time i toped the oil up so that could be the reason aswell.

My MOT runs out on Tuesday 20th Jan so does anyone can give advice from previous experience.

Thanks in advance.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: Hi Everyone, Xsara Picasso Vtx Hdi MOT failure

Post by MikeT »

From my previous experience and in relation to your issue(s):

Avoid QuickFit for MOT's
Ensure all fluids are at their correct levels and in good condition
Get engine temperature up to "normal" and then conduct an "Italian tune-up" on way to testing station / before presenting vehicle for MOT
At MOT, insist emissions check is done ASAP well before engine cools off (best to pre-agree/arrange this)
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Did you go back today? Not so bad to just fail on emissions! My car failed a couple of years ago on emissions, the tester told me to drive round the block as fast as I could, in as low a gear as possible (Italian tune-up like MikeT says). It worked so I do that before the MOT now. You might find it's only a temporary solution.

Just to say I once had an engine fire due to too much oil, you might need to siphon some out, depends how much is too much.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Third the Italian tune up method,
wife old fiat used to suffer emissions on mot's, she Never revved it up when driving at all, a good douse of redex down the plug holes, filled with decent fuel and Driven hard Cleared the emisions issue Every time,

Sad thing is, That car used to LOve being driven hard! cracking little thing!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Timmo wrote:Sad thing is, That car used to LOve being driven hard! cracking little thing!
Fourth'ed what I call the "basil fawlty tuneup" (a damn good thrashing!)...

Strangely I had a Tipo a couple of years back with a 1.6(IIRC) FIRE engine and that thing HATED revs, it was almost like an XUD9 in a 205, it'd accelerate fastest from tickover to about 2500-2750rpm but then the revs would just build slowly towards the redline, and you'd accelerate quicker by changing up. :|
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
remonvtx
New User

Post by remonvtx »

Sorry for the late reply, i managed to get the car to a side street garage who drained 1L of oil ! and he said it should pass now drive it hard for 5 miles before retest in low gears, so i did that the car was screaming just to get there and been told by the guy at kwik fit it still send blue smoke out the exhaust but itis better than befor and he wanted to fail it again, while i am having a chat with him, his boss came around and said what is the problem i explained to him he said did the car passed emissions test? the tester said yes so the boos said pass the car and put it down as advisory :lol:
i was happy and i thought right i will need to find where is the problem so i sent the car today to the garage to sort the oil leak issue which is caused by injector 3 seal, they changed the seal and they said the car is fine now so i went after work picked the car up and drove home it was driving fine so i left the car running and went under the bonnet to check if there is any noises coming from the injector then i was absolutely shocked the noise was even louder and there was a steam or a smoke coming from the injector, i called the garage but it was too late so i called the lad who was working on the car and he said he dont understand how this is possible and he said bring it back Monday so i asked him what could of gone wrong he said the bolt which hold the injector would do with tightening up abit! i didnt like the sound of that and probably this the last time i will use this garage.