C3 Power Steering Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hamster99

C3 Power Steering Problem

Post by hamster99 »

Wife's C3 VTR power steering is making some very strange noises. It's like a sort of intermittent growling noise which stops when you aren't turning the steering wheel.

On a traditional system I would suspect low hydraulic fluid or some contamination but on this the power steering is electric, with everything built into the rack and controlled by an ECU behind the battery fuse box.

Apart from the noise the steering works fine, although I did think it felt a little heavier than usual. I hope it doesn't need a new rack as it looks like a pig of a job (drop exhaust, undo subframe etc).

Any thoughts?

Rob
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: C3 Power Steering Problem

Post by RichardW »

If it only occurs as you are turning the wheel, then can't see it can be anything but the rack - worth a check though that it's not the strut top bearings (turn the steering lock to lock with it jacked up to look for juddering as they turn). Can't get a price from service.citroen, but anecdotal evidence suggests it's £lots :cry: bba-reman appear to do refurbed racks, so it can't be an all that irregular failure.
Richard W