C5 coolant warning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

C5 coolant warning

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi guys, just started the car and the warning "coolant level low" popped up leading me to think do I top up or do I flush and change whole system?

The car had a new waterpump and coolant when the cam belt was replaced at 106,000 and its now on 135,000. I've checked the handbook and service book but neither seem to give any info on when to change the coolant.

The service book was equally unhelpful about the recommended specification of coolant by saying "Use fluid recommended by Citroen service network"
This is the first time this warning has flashed up and it did has not flashed up since.
Any advice on service interval for fluid and the type required is appreciated.

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
dnsey

Re: C5 coolant warning

Post by dnsey »

I think it depends on the fluid used.
The correct OAT stuff has a very long life, and probably won't need changing yet. I believe that Citroen consider it 'sealed for life', but probably best changed every 10k miles or 10 years. It's all down to how fast the corrosion inhibitors get used up.
I have some stuff in the garage which I confirmed as suitable with the manufacturers, having experienced the same lack of information as you - I'll try and remember to check what it is tomorrow!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have it in my head that it is changed at three-year intervals, which I have done anyway.
I haven't had any problems with the cooling system other than it firing a bleed cap off and almost scalding the MOT tester.

Refilled and a replacement cap - from the dealer, 30p fitted along with the recommended Citroen Antigel coolant.
Not cheap - IIRC £10 a Litre and three litres needed.
There are probably cheaper options but £30 for three years doesn't seem too bad to me if it is not going to cause problems.
I always add the recommended Forte cooling system sealant too.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Just a question, how long since you last topped it up ? if it was recently I would find out just why the level has dropped. Sealed systems should not loose much of their contents without a leak or over pressure.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

^ Exacterly. I forgot to say that except the time it blew the bleed cap off, neither of the C5s have had any coolant added. Check it now and again and it never moves - same as the oil. Never seen a level warning except the screen washers.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Sure all C5s will be fitted with OAT coolant (colours other than blue - Citroen's is either nearly colourless or Pink / red in later cars) This should last 10 years or so - hence it is no longer listed as a service item. If you change it with the cambelt / water pump and use long life it will be fine between each change.
Richard W
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The stuff I used is Bluecol 5 Year.
As I said, I checked with their technical dept that it was OK for the HDI.
I agree that in practice it should last between cambelt / water pump changes.
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi Guys thanks for the replies. I havent actually checked the level properly as its under a big black plactic cover. Like I say the warning only popped up once but I will check the level before driving the car. There is no sign of any leakage which is good news. I'll check level and get back to you if there is an issue.

Bandit :-)
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Thanks for the advce guys.

This is really my bad as I have not checked it for months :oops: . I topped up with the pink OATS stuff and it took half a litre. I cannot find any leaks and the level is holding steady. I'll make check level more regularly from now :oops:

Bandit