ZX - Time for some love!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

beko1987
My Cars: 2002 Xsara HDI 110

ZX - Time for some love!

Post by beko1987 »

Long time no speak!

Haven't posted much since selling the XM and buying the ZX, just been driving it really! Have posted up on the brown forum a fair bit, but am after some technical help, and tbh there's no better place to ask than here!

Today was MOT day, and she passed with little issue!

The main one is play in the drivers side lower ball joint, which in itself is minor, so I'm happy with that. I've found a few on ebay, and will get them soon. However, is there anything else I could replace whilst I'm under the front end?

She's done 271k now, and the front end does clonk slightly. I'm happy to spend a little bit of money, should I look to replace anything else pro-activly?

She squeaked through the emissions too, my friend (who does my MOT's) tried the first time, and didn't finish as he said it would possibly fail. So he got on with the bits on the lift, then before trying the machine again took it outside, redlined it for 30 seconds (filled the car park with black smoke) then tried again, she passed! He mentioned it may be a hole in a pipe somewhere around the turbo, anyone have any pointers? I'd be keen to fix this asap. I never see any smoke in day to day, although tbh I potter about at under 2k normally, and she didnt get warm from work to the mot station (under 5 miles). He said that was probably the issue, so fix the air leak, chuck some fuel cleaner through then drive like a hooligan for a bit (can do that!)

Any help to these two would be handy. If anyone happens to be breaking a dark green ZX and has a passenger side wing for sale, and could post it I'd be interested, but it's not urgent tbh!

Cheers

Sam
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Re: ZX - Time for some love!

Post by sparksie »

Hi
Usually a good idea to go for a thrash on the way to your test, to heat up the cat.
You should really do that periodically anyway, to reduce the buildup of crud and help stave off egr problems.
Glad you got it through in the end.
No second chances in the Irish test. A fail is a fail and a retest is E28. No tweaking allowed in the test station either.
I think I prefer the UK system, though it's open to abuse by unscrupulous testers touting for repair work.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

i would probably look at doing the Anti roll bar drop links when you do the ball joints, - possibly the source of the clonking, i learnt my lesson by ignoring advice and buying cheap parts, they simply do not last, all were replaced with lemforder or Delphi / bilstein parts,
not a tricky job but unless you set a side best part a week to do them it wont go well! if you do set as side loads of time it'll be done in 5! :-D

my xant is in for test next week, oil and filters all on their way,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the lower swivels are likely the cause of you clonking although it would be an idea to fit new drop links at the same time,

i second the Mexican tune up ern route to the test station, i usually with diesels knock it into second and floor it 2 or 3 times for a few second a go,
i never use additives and cant remember the last time i had mine or a customers diesel fail the emissions test,

i assume she is a diesel doughnut as you say it "filled the car park with black smoke"
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut »

Same here re preparing diesels for the emissions.

Escape from home behind a smokescreen and this should help your test results. Although I did once see a lorry blot out a test centre completely with white smoke! A bemused tester emerged from the fug to tell the driver - "It's passed!"
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Sam :-D

Good to hear from you!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...