Head Gasket Sealers, any Good?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Head Gasket Sealers, any Good?

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

I know on previous visits to the factors I've noticed head gasket 'pour it in and we guarantee it'll do the trick' type applications available, the one I have in mind comes in a yellow / green dayglo colour bottle (couldn't tell you what its called)

Anyone experienced using them? Are they any good?

My daughter's 106 TUD has an oil weep from the left (cam belt) side, its all it amounts to at the moment (no sign of any ingress to the coolant yet, but probably soon) and so far my efforts at finding a donor engine or car have come to nowt.

Also while I'm here.... a big mention for Diamond Insurance, her insurers; whom tell me that admin fee for a replacement vehicle is just £17, but mysteriously require £300 or more to insure alternative vehicles we were planning on viewing with a view to purchase; including identically spec'd 106 diesels and the very similar you'd think 206 1.4 HDi. Perhaps usually drivers buy first then check with insurers forcing themselves into a corner and Diamond take advantage of this, we'll not insure with them again.
Puxa
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Head Gasket Sealers, any Good?

Post by elma »

Personally I wouldn't use a head gasket sealant unless it was my only chance of getting home and the engine was being rebuilt or replaced. If you're thinking of changing the engine though worst it could do is blow up early.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You can get a days insurance on tinternet for less than £25, use that to get it home and then argue with your insurance company. I always go to Confused.com. have used them since they started, I pay about £140 for mine but that is in rural Dorset.

Peter
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Thanks Elma, the only way I'd be putting any foreign 'sludge' in an engine would be if i was REALLY confident about it; you never know where its settling and creating a potential blockage, the heater matrix for instance.

Insurance figures appropriate for likes of you & I Peter, but daughter's young and has learnt the expensive way to use her N/S MIrror and her Handbrake for their intended purposes with two small claims in consecutive years.

Talking of daughter, who's 5ft nowt, built like a piece of bacon and learnt to drive in an un-assisted steering Mk1 106D; power steering is not necessary on small cars.
Puxa
elma

Post by elma »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote:Thanks Elma, the only way I'd be putting any foreign 'sludge' in an engine would be if i was REALLY confident about it; you never know where its settling and creating a potential blockage, the heater matrix for instance.

Thats exactly my worry, the coolant stuff does the job on coolant leaks until a repair can be made. I often use it myself on a new vehicle whilst I fix more dangerous faults until I can afford a radiator, hose or whatever. For the head I'm more concerned.

http://www.tomiauto.sk/hlavy/908171.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The head in the above link should be similar to your daughters, just no engine or car attached. Is the oil leak coming out from the top bit with the cam in it or from the bottom bit sat on the (invisible) floor? Sorry if that sounds a bit patronising, it's just I don't know you and possibly it's the one thats 20mins to change and about £10 but you don't know yet.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

fair comment Elma, but no its the bottom bit, not the rocker cover gasket; cor be luvly if it was. Similar looking head, clearly a diesel, is it a TU?

I noted this morning when I had a poke about that the 106 doesn't have a subframe (ahead of its time!). Anyone who's done an engine swap on these have a preference, to lift it out or drop it out? Haynes says to lift it
Puxa
elma

Post by elma »

It should be a TUD 5
Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut »

Do not touch head gasket sealers. I've tried them and the do not work. I am about to strip the head on my Citroen C5 HDi.
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

thanks Xantianut, thought likely best to take the proverbial 'bargepole' approach; but nothing like some unbiased feedback.... as sometimes you can be surprised. Good luck with the head job, when the swear words flow comfort yourself in the knowledge of the £££'s you're saving
Puxa