BioDiesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

BioDiesel

Post by mbunting »

So, hands up, who's not happy about the forthcoming rise in fuel prices ?
I've been looking around for the last week at various sites to do with biodiesel made from veg oil. I'm very interested !
Does anyone on here run thier diesel on bio ? I'm wondering how much damage it would do to the seals ( if any ) and gasgets etc..
The costs could work out to be most favourable if the price of diesel continues to rise, and theres allways the risk of blowing up the out-house at the bottom of the garden. Anyone who now mentions duty and excise will get a slap !
So, who's thought about it, who's doing it ?
Regards
Mat.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Hi Mats!
I'm a diesel enthusiast from Sweden (where the government has almost the same attitude to diesels as the UK). I have an XM TD12 from '93 and an Audi A4 TDI from 2000. I run the Audi on RME (Raps Methyl Ester = biodiesel to you) but don't dare to use it in the XM. You see RME is very aggressive towards rubber, and there's a whole lot of rubber in an XM's fuel system! Apart from changing the filler pipe, the gaskets for the fuel gauge cover, I'd have to change the parts of the fuel line that are rubber, the gaskets in the diesel pre-heater, the fuel filter/water seperator, oh and of course the injection pump gaskets. Sounds like a whole lot of work, but one day I'll get round to it (presumably when the cost of biodiesel is less than conventional diesel!).
One day the truth will out! (Diesel IS better, it's just the fuel that lets the concept down).
//NiSk
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

There are a few people on the various forums who run citroens ( BX's usually ) on biodiesel, or a 80/20% bio/normal mix. No problems reported, but then it's hardly likely to go bang after one tank !
I have all the ingredints apart from the methanol, which I'm currently trying to source.
Doing the calculations, it works out about 15 - 20p / litre cheaper, and thats using new veg oil.
Regards
Mat.