AA

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

AA

Post by daviemck2006 »

:rant2: Another rant. Letter in from the AA saying my renewal is due. I have basic cover plus relay, home start, roadside, and breakdown repair. I was paying £17.63 a month which I thought was ok, given that I have used it 3 times, got the c2 towed to citroen and £500 towards the bill, I got shaun's fiesta towed home 35 miles, and I got a new attery for the c5 which is now in Kerri's Astra. New renewal price £29.55 per month! :wtf: One phone call later to customer service saying stuff it i'm leaving and it is down to £18.21. I still very nearly left as had I been the kind just to accept their story that I was on a discounted starter rate and now it's up I would have been ripped off. I hate companies who do that. But, I have agreed to stay as due to my health I cant really fix cars at the side of the road, and need the security of getting the car home if it does break. Quite a bit of this is for the breakdown repair insurance, which has paid off twice for me over the year, so well I shall keep it for just now. It only covers one nominated car, so it will transfer onto whatever I buy to replace the c5.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: AA

Post by elma »

Could always swap to Rac or Greenflag. I play them off against each other once a year. They should offer conference call bartering to speed things up.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Try Britannia Rescue Davie.. With my CSMA discount I pay 88 quid a year for all my cars and any cars I'm a passenger in...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Yes, precisely why I got fed up with the AA and left. 40% price hike come every renewal, despite having never used a breakdown service in my life. They gave me the same story about "introductory offer" which is nowhere to be seen on the original paperwork. They rely on customer apathy to hike the premiums up to obviously uncompetitive prices, not a very ethical way of operating in my opinion, so I told them to stuff it last time. I'm now with Autoaid which offers a fairly comprehensive policy for £39 a year, you pay the cost of recovery up front and claim it back, seems to work well according to internet.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Pro-tip: AA will allow you to join after you've broken down and honour an immediate request for assistance. By buying cover only when actually needed it, it's costs me just two years cover for my entire motoring life as I cancel come the renewal price-hike.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

my missus pays RAC £14 a moth, this is personal cover not linked to any car no matter on the cars age, covers any car she is with/in,
also European cover for the year,

without the European cover it costs £11 a month,

most comanies will not give European cover for cars over 7 years old
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

My cover is for me in any vehicle I am in, and breakdown cover which pays garage bills up to a maximum of £500 per claim for one nominated vehicle as long as it is a breakdown you call the aa out for. It paid off last year when they paid 1/2 the repair to the c2 and a new battery into the c5. I've decided to stay with that this year. I'm never really far from home but, knowing my luck I would break down when on the motorway on the way to Carluke! So I'll keep the relay for that.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Every year i hit quidco and make a nice payment back. Think it was just over £100 this year for Roadside & Relay.

Strangely when i input the number plate from any of my collection for their warranty jobby thingy they have a hissy fit and the quote doubles!

Last year i got £30 back and this year the way it worked out i got it off straight away :D
macAU
My Cars:

Post by macAU »

So many businesses apply this 'Lazy Tax' - they send out a renewal for their services at a higher price than they might offer a direct enquiry. They depend on the customer being too lazy or apathetic to 'shop around'

Even more annoying is the tendency to offer specials to 'new customers' and exclude existing ones. So much for rewarding customer loyalty.
1924 5CV 'la petit citron', 1970 Citroen DS21 Pallas, 1973 Citroen D Super 5
1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic, 1981 Citroen CX Reflex 'Familiale' 2400 ZF auto
1981 Citroen CX Super 'Familiale' 2400 C-matic, 2011 Citroen C5 and a 1991 Mazda E2200
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

macAU wrote: Even more annoying is the tendency to offer specials to 'new customers' and exclude existing ones. So much for rewarding customer loyalty.
Yes. We had this just recently with our TV and broadband supplier.

I simply cancelled their services. Lo and behold, my wife, who hasn't got my surname, rang up shortly afterwards, said she was moving in the day my services would cease... and took up their new customer deals....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

There's usually room for negotiation.
I recently upgraded my broadband service, and was, unsurprisingly, quoted a higher price.
A polite request resulted in my obtaining the new customer introductory offer (6 months free, and £50 cashback) with no trouble at all.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

macAU wrote:So many businesses apply this 'Lazy Tax'
Admiral are shockers for this. Always call them and have a haggle. It's amazing how much then comes off...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

MikeT wrote:Pro-tip: AA will allow you to join after you've broken down and honour an immediate request for assistance. By buying cover only when actually needed it, it's costs me just two years cover for my entire motoring life as I cancel come the renewal price-hike.
That's true but you pay a surcharge if you need to join when you are already broken down & if you take out relay It only covers the first 50 miles if you need to use it straight away, there is a mileage charge of around £2.50 per mile after the first 50 miles, not cheap if you are on holiday 400 miles from home.
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

I got RAC through the CCC and it was £40 for the year, Home Start, Roadside, Recovery, onward travel etc.....
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Is that for one nominated car, or for yourself in any car Steve? I have the full works for myself in any car, and garage bills insurance cover for one nominated car.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2