Xantia - fuel economy down

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Xantia - fuel economy down

Post by Jaf »

Hi folks. Fred has always done around 950kms a tank in the winter but the last 2 tanks I've struggled to get even 800kms. I've not put the air con accidently on! Cold start is a bit more difficult so I have 1 or more glow plugs gone. She drives well, same gears for the hills, and passed her emission test last month. There's a little smoke on start up, but I think that's from the dodgy glow plugs. No visible smoke when driving. No fuel leak that I can see, park in the same spot and no puddles.

So what to check? Air and fuel filter...anything else?

Thanks!
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
Northern_Mike

Re: Xantia - fuel economy down

Post by Northern_Mike »

Filters, glow plugs - and do they use winter diesel in Spain? I believe in UK they use a different formula and it's never quite as economical. Maybe they've started doing that in Spain..
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Thanks. Hmm don't think so but I'll ask. I've always thought engines ran better in the winter? I've had the car for 7 years though so she is probably due an injector check, even though there's no smoke.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I would be suspecting either or both filters you mention and check the tyres pressures too.
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Post by Estately »

Hi Jaf,
Just a quick thought, it may be worth checking the thermostat, we have experienced Citroen thermostats both sticking open and closed which went unnoticed until there was a change in the ambient temperature. (Non Citroen bought for the Xantia from a factors in Spain cost about 20 Euros say four years ago.)

When changing one, loss of water is not great particularly if done with a cold engine and the car is parked on an up slope on the thermostat side of the car.

If you do not think that the thermostat has been changed for some time (if at all) take care with the three 10mm bolts, the last thing you want is for any of them to snap.
My method is to first try and tighten them by the tiniest fraction possible and then ease them out one flat at a time and squirt an easing liquid of your choice down the thread if it does have a tight feel. Consider loosening each bolt with the other two at the “at fitted tightness”. Others on this site who have done the job more recently than me may suggest an alternative method of removal.

On replacement I would grease the threads whatever state they came out in.

Hope that helps.

Andy.
If it can happen it will.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have found the economy to be better in warmer weather, my 406 Hdi which normally does around 60 mpg on a long journey managed 67.8mpg over 650 miles coming back from Scotland on a hot day, 25C+.

The combustion is not quite as good when its hot except that the Hdi being electronically controlled compensates for the less dense air, the real saving comes from the oil and grease temperatures being higher and causing less drag, another factor is the less dense hot air causes less wind resistance and of course the engine reaches normal operating temperature quicker.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Check the brakes aren't binding. Even a little extra rolling resistance can down the economy markedly. So can faulty tracking too.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Ok that's some more things to check. Thanks all.

Is there a system to put more fuel in whilst the engine is cold? I have a petrol car with mechanical fuel injection which has both fuel inrichment, via a 5th injector (cold start valve) and an air damper (warm up regulator).

I will of course check the simple things first!

Thanks again.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jaf wrote: Is there a system to put more fuel in whilst the engine is cold? I have a petrol car with mechanical fuel injection which has both fuel inrichment, via a 5th injector (cold start valve) and an air damper (warm up regulator).
No, there's nothing like that on a diesel Jaf. Diesels need no cold fuel enrichment like a petrol, just a bit of pre-heating, post-heating and a faster idle, none of which will affect overall economy...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Although there is no 'enrichment' mechanism on a diesel it does use a lot more fuel when cold purely because the engine is running inefficiently. On the same trip referred to earlier the first few days were very cold and the fuel consumption on a fairly flat but traffic less road was around 50 mpg, rising to 60+mpg once hot.

Peter