How useful is "Gunk" ....??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hamster99

How useful is "Gunk" ....??

Post by hamster99 »

Happy New Year everyone.

I know this is a bit "off topic" but thought I'd tap into that large pool of knowledge you all have with a less taxing question than usual, especially for those of us perhaps recovering from an over indulgent New Years eve!

I have used gunk in the past for cleaning engines etc but wondered if it is something I could use on a mucky deep fat fryer? Last time I did ours using the usual supermarket type cleaners it took me about 4 hours and it was neither easy nor particularly successful, now seemingly more sticky than before...!!!

Cheers everyone and happy 2015.

Rob
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: How useful is "Gunk" ....??

Post by evilally »

Pretty good on mineral based oils, but not particularly effective on cooking oil. A mild caustic solution should do the trick, like most oven cleaners or drain cleaners, just wear gloves and be careful with it!
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I've no idea as don't own a fryer, why not pop into your local chippy and ask what they use?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Well its designed to dissolve grease but whether it differentiates between mineral and vegetable grease I really don't know, I can only suggest that you try it - its got to smell better than old vegetable fat. :)

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Be wary of using a caustic solution to clean it if it is aluminium - lots of them are.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I used to hate Gunk and now dare not even try using it. I used to use white spirit instead and found it wonderful. Brush it on and then blow it off with an airline.

I was fine until one day I developed a really bad reaction to it and now can't go near it or anything similar. I now use brake and clutch cleaner and that's not quite as good but not too bad. At least it's OK for me...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The Arthur Daley of Bromley where I used to by my cars many many years ago had a tank of stuff called Magnus, I think it was, it looked and smelt like Jeys fluid, I asked if I could put my oil bath type air filter in it, you hooked things on a piece of wire and suspended over in the tank by tying it to the underneath of the stairs that went up to the office, when I removed it not only had all the grease gone but so had the paint! it was gleaming silver already to refinish.

You will have to wear gloves Jim.

Peter
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I used to repair deep fat fryers years ago. What we found works was some Finish dishwasher cleaner (little blue bottle with a red lid, with a wax plug in it). We would fill the fryers between the minimum and maximum levels with water, put some dishwasher cleaner in the water, and spray some more over the rest of the internal metal, close the lid and switch it on for about 20 to 30 minutes (keeping an eye on it). Switch it off, leave it for a while (to cool down enough to be safe to work on), and it should be clean and ready to wipe out.

Be careful. These fryers run a lot hotter than the boiling point of water, so generate a lot of steam. This helps with the cleaning, but can scald you badly if you are unwary.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Interesting on that degreaser Peter. Old-school Gunk used to smell vaguely of Jeyes Fluid... I never found Gunk that effective when I tried it.

It's not my skin that reacts to white spirit and the like, it's my respiratory system. Petrol and Diesel does it too. When filling my tank at a pump I have to stand down-wind of it or else the petrol fumes do for me...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
old-un77
My Cars: Renault 14...now skyward
Renault 19.. skyward also..
'03 Xsara 1.8 Picasso in silver met his maker
'06 Desire, again in silver also gonn to metal heaven

Post by old-un77 »

reminds me of the buckets of Genklene that used to be around at work......AKA Carbon tet.....super degreaser that was...but a killer......

as copd sufferer, I can sympathise,

Down-wind?

up-wind surely?
Bob
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh yes, I remember Genklene well when I was an apprentice Bob. Used to practically bathe in the stuff.

We were innocent then... Then we moved to trike... Just as bad most likely...

I really do wonder what subtle damage it did sometimes although touch-wood my respiratory health is good..

You're right, I did mean up-wind!
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

That's unfortunate Jim for a petrol head, or is it diesel? :wink:
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

deep fat fryer? get some oven pride or oven cleaner. its the best stuff for getting through the grime but isnt half strong so best left ventilated or the kitchen closed to the rest of the house and kitchen windows open :)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i just did a goooogly search on alternative oven cleaner and here's some results

http://yumuniverse.com/make-your-own-in ... n-cleaner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/st ... -naturally" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-clean-a ... chn-201191" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://learningherbs.com/remedies-recip ... g-recipes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I rather like the smell of Gunk, but I'm not sure that it would be very nice on chips :?