SORN for a few months

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

SORN for a few months

Post by MTND »

Hi All

The Xantia is now SORN for a couple of months so will not run on the road till April.
Thinking of starting and warming up a bit every three-four weeks and moving backwards and forwards on the drive and up a down suspension a few times. Battery will need a charge a bit as well.

Any other ideas for making sure nothing is damaged from the non use? The car is in working order otherwise and MOT'ed and insured.

Cheers

Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
Northern_Mike

Re: SORN for a few months

Post by Northern_Mike »

Blow the tyres up about 10psi over their normal pressure
old-un77
My Cars: Renault 14...now skyward
Renault 19.. skyward also..
'03 Xsara 1.8 Picasso in silver met his maker
'06 Desire, again in silver also gonn to metal heaven

Post by old-un77 »

A solar panel trickle charger? only a few milliamps in daylight, but continuous......A mate of mine has killed two batteries on a Clio, because he doesn't use it enough.....
1997V6

Post by 1997V6 »

Condensation/Mould can be a problem with cars left standing during the winter.
I use one of two methods, as I only use my Ford Puma irregulary. One is a "bag" I purchased some time ago, which contains moisture absorbing granules. These start off bright orange and gradually change to clear/white as they absorb moisture. Once this happens, you place the bag in a microwave for a few minutes to reactivate. I put the bag under the drivers seat:
http://kontrolukltd.com/indoor-products ... detail/119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The second, is a small humidifier that runs from the mains and collects water in a reservoir. I run this on a timer for a few hours each day if the Puma is not going to be used for a while:
http://www.ebuyer.com/634166-vida-midi-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... r-emdb8y18
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/s ... idifier-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£30 Squid from Aldi seems very cheap protection....Personally I think the breathable covers are great, they really do allow it to dry out in the winter
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Soak the underside totally with a hose and rinse out the arches and anything else under there where water can get.
It will wash out any salt hiding in there and if you let the engine warm thoroughly then the heat off the exhaust and engine will help dry it out. Also stick the suspension on low but have the wheels on bricks(two bricks per wheel would do it as this then helps air blow around under the car to avoid water/condensation forming too much :)

Also disable the ultrasonic sensors when you park it up and DONT deadlock it or use the remote, use the key :)